News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 Question

Started by Bob, August 06, 2010, 11:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob

When I pulled the 440 and 727 last evening from the motorhome I measured the 727 compared to the one I had out of my car. They are the same length. What is the difference between the one in the MH and the one in my car?
Thanks

Cooter

Mostly, the 4 gear planetary and a few other heavy duty things..Good trans to build...I'm surprized it didn't come with that short tailshaft, drum brake on the back 727 in an RV though...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Bob

Quote from: Cooter on August 06, 2010, 11:29:03 AM
Mostly, the 4 gear planetary and a few other heavy duty things..Good trans to build...I'm surprised it didn't come with that short tailshaft, drum brake on the back 727 in an RV though...

Thanks Cooter,
I don't think production was high on this model. It was a Chrysler-Desoto hand made MH. Hand made meaning they started with a chassis, Used 1" square tubing frame from top to bottom and front to rear. 3/4" plywood flooring. At the time it was new it had to be one of the top contenders. The parking brake was in the back wheels. It weighs dry at 11k. The trans prior to pulling worked perfect.
4th gear planetary, meaning?

RD

Quote from: Bob on August 06, 2010, 11:55:56 AM
4th gear planetary, meaning?

these things.. there are two... front and rear planetary gears.  some transmissions have 3, some have 4, and some have 5 and 6 gears.

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

John_Kunkel

One thing truck/MH transmissions don't have that is sometimes needed in a passenger car is the twin bosses on the bottom of the tailhousing for the console shift bracket.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

bigbrutus318

I have a 318 Ramcharger and I bought it from a lady used.  She had the transmission replaced and im not sure if its the right transmission for my truck.  The numbers off of the transmission are PK4348783 8842 9801.  I dont know if this is a 727 transmission or not.

RD

Quote from: bigbrutus318 on August 06, 2010, 07:31:43 PM
I have a 318 Ramcharger and I bought it from a lady used.  She had the transmission replaced and im not sure if its the right transmission for my truck.  The numbers off of the transmission are PK4348783 8842 9801.  I dont know if this is a 727 transmission or not.

the number should read PK4348703

it is a 904 transmission that came behind an 1986 diplomat/5th Ave/gran fury 318 car.

just an fyi, but you can go here: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,61361.0.html  if you have any questions regarding identifying a  A904 in relation to a A727 transmission.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Bob

Thanksyou RD and John. I'll have to check on the twin bosses.
If it has the twins I guess it would make a nice transmission in the charger.  :2thumbs:

RD

alcusswhen

His stuff came from a class  motor home w/rear wheel parking brakes. The class c's have the tail housing parking brake.
Bone 7

73 Charger SE/ 318/391 stroker, 2500 Boss Hogg converter/ 391 sure grip.
07 Charger R/T

Bob

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 06, 2010, 03:56:26 PM

One thing truck/MH transmissions don't have that is sometimes needed in a passenger car is the twin bosses on the bottom of the tailhousing for the console shift bracket.
John,
It does not have the twin bosses but then again I did not use them on my 74 Charger. Other than that the tansmissions look the same.
Thanks