News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Brake installation question

Started by Peters02, July 21, 2010, 01:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peters02

Am in the process of rebuilding my 72 w 10" drums.
Put the front shoes on - no problem.
Put the rears on with new hardware and despite the adjuster wheel being all the way contracted, the shoes still make contact with the drums....making it a challenge to rotate the wheels.  It's not impossible, it just requires some pressure to rotate the drums.

Need I be concerned?  Any advice?

Checked everything many times over and cannot see where there is any problem with the work I have done.

Thanks
Peter

b5blue

The whole thing needs to center itself well before final adjustment. I put everything together and get adjustment close but not tight. Then I press the pedal down real hard a few times and then adjust out till they just touch. Then repeat. Test drive some, then check again. Keep in mind as the shoes wear in you should keep checking as they loosen up for the first 500 miles or so. Also check the emergency brake to be certain it's off and adjusted correctly, be sure the cable moves freely in the cable jackets and the pivots in the drum assembly are seated and assembled right.

Peters02

Thanks for the info.  I will keep this post.  I am a ways away from having the pedal in and the sort (full ground up restoration), but when I get there, I think all these tips will help.

b5blue