News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rock crusher

Started by boost freak, July 15, 2010, 11:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boost freak

well a buddy of mine has a rock crusher tranny for a dodge and i was thinking about getting it. but im not to sure how good they well handel alot of power.. he said they'll handel alot. well what do you guys think? i could make the motor a high comperssion 440 with 13:1 comperssion, then put the 4 speed behind it and be a cool old school car, or would it handel if i did a blower instead? because i do have a 671 blower ..

i have a 73 charger.. the only thing is doing a manual ill have to get all the pedals and it wouldn't be as fast as a auto but it would be pretty cool to drive a big boat and rip through the gears. what u guys think?

62 Max

First thing I would forget about is 13:1 on a street motor. :Twocents:

moparmoynihan

I thought "Muncie" made the Rock Crusher??? That a Chevy trans. Johnny  :METAL:
b7 1969 Charger 4 speed 440 4:10

Cooter

I bet a Ch*vy buddy of mine he couldn't tell me why the Ch*vy M22 "Rock Crusher" was called that....As I thought, he made up some BS story bout being so strong, they could crush rocks in 'em.. :smilielol:

Yep, never heard of a "rock Crusher" trans for the Chrysler as ALL of the A833 4-speeds were close ratio save for a few early ones and the overdrives. All the regular 4-speeds were basically "bulletproof", especially the "Hemi" 18 spline one....

Also agreed, 13.5:1 on the street is crazy nowadays...Just FYI, but I've sold more Chrysler A833 4-speeds to Chevy guys, than Chrysler guys..They just can't seem to keep those Aluminum case 4-speeds in those 454 Chevelles...After installing a Chrysler, I never hear from 'em again..Hmmm..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Brock Samson

Back in the day the reviewers in the car Mags. discribed that heavy duty four speed trans as "shifting in a can full of rocks"... if you've ever driven a vette with one you know exactly what they were talking about... soon all the magazines called it as such, hence the M-22 became "the Rock Crusher...  :yesnod:

Rolling_Thunder

Yes - the M-22 had a different helix cut on the gears -  making the gears whine and make a louder noise than a regular trans...      the gears are stronger but the noise is annoying...       
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

boost freak

was told it came off of his old hemi he had. and it was all re-gone through. its a race car but ill still take it on the street ever now and then..my buddys dads car is 13:5  in  a 455 pontaic pro street car. he has no problem besides it suxing gas.lol :coolgleamA: