News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's the diff: Edelbrock 383 Performer and DP4B

Started by Headrope, December 26, 2005, 02:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Headrope

What are the differences between the Edelbrock 383 Performer and DP4B?
They look identical.
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

max

unfortunatly outside appearances have very little to do with the performance of an intake. it's mostly the way the runners have been shaped or formed in side that makes the difference.

i have ran the edelbrock performer on my 383 and to be honest i wasn't impressed with it. i switched a stock hp iron intake in favor of the edelbrock and actually lost some bottom end power but that was the only thing i changed which some people say if you don't match a good carb with the intake you are wasting your time.

i don't feel that way when it is an all stock engine but when i put the edelbrock intake on i couldn't spin a tire on my 383 so i went right back to the stock iron intake and picked up that lost bottom end and i was able to spin the tires again. :eyes:

471_Magnum

The Performer and the DP4B are completely different castings. The DP4B is actually the predecesor to the Performer and Performer RPM. They carry a Direct Connection Part number actually preceded the M1 dual plane in the Direct Connection/Mopar Performance catalogs.

The Performer (and the Mopar Performance M1 dual plane) are essentially stock-type intakes cast from aluminum. The DP4B has a better runner design with a straighter shot into the intake port.

Because of this, it is also about 3/4" taller than a stock intake. The slightly taller runners may create interference with your A/C braces. Also, the coil bosses are relocated for use with a Holley carb, eliminating the common problem of fuel line interference when using a Holley on a stock intake.

I've used a DP4B, as well as just about every other low-rise dual plane B-motor intake (stock, M1, Performer, Action-Plus) on a mild 451 stroker. The DP4B was my favorite, pulling noticible better than all the rest from 5000-6000 rpm. I would say the Weiand Action-Plus ranks second.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

firefighter3931

I'll agree with the others. The performer has smaller runners than the stock iron intake so it will make more TQ than the others but it will hurt the upper end power. Probably not a bad manifold for a bone stock engine with 2.76 gears if you wanted to perk up the off idle response. The dp4b is on the opposite side of the factory intake, larger runner volume for better top end power. The dual plane design still means it'll pull hard down low as well. A good compromise for a warmed over 383, inmo.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chryco Psycho

put me down as another non fan of the performer intakes , should have been called NonPerformers

Ghoste

That's not true.  Mine is working out terrific as a combination paperweight and carb stand.  With any luck, I'll turn it into beer money at some upcoming swap meet. ;D

TruckDriver

Oh boy, my car had a 383 performer on it when I bought it. I never heard anything bad about them til now. But I also heard that they work best with a Edlebrock carb on them as well. So, what would be a good replacement? Right now my engine is stock, but this summer I plan on putting an Engle K-54 cam in it. And in a few weeks I'm getting a Edlebrock 750 carb for my car.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Headrope

My 383 is warmed over - street hemi grind purple shaft, cylinders bored .40 over, Competition Series Carter AFB (625 cfm)  - but didn't wake up until I put the Edelbrock 383 Performer intake on it. It's a completely different car now: a street runner that does fine at 80 on the Interstate - which is all I can do anyways because of all the traffic.

I ran across the DP4B on eBay and paid $60 for it, including shipping. I plan on using that on the 400 I'm gonna stroke to 451 ... 471 if I do it right.

Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.