News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ever regret working on a friends car?

Started by 1969chargerrtse, June 05, 2010, 06:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargergirl

Way too funny...so now we realize it's just a ruse. No problem...forgiveness is a virtue.
Trust your Woobie!

1969chargerrtse

Well I drove the Pices of crap home.  It popped and spuddered all the way.  The battery was dead so they had to jump it.  I'm gonna tell the guy to buy a battery for it before I even touch it.  Good chance it slipped a cam tooth AND BENT A VALVE OR TWO!!  Makes me sick.  Updates asap.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

TylerCharger69

I dunno...but if the engine isn't rotating...and you pop the clutch in reverse....isnt that going to want to make the engine turn in reverse too??  If the engine is already running....that's one thing....but if it's not...it seems the engine is going to grab  whichever way the drivetrain is rotating.....correct me if im wrong though...please

chargergirl

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on June 14, 2010, 05:03:17 PM
Well I drove the Pices of crap home.  It popped and spuddered all the way.  The battery was dead so they had to jump it.  I'm gonna tell the guy to buy a battery for it before I even touch it.  Good chance it slipped a cam tooth AND BENT A VALVE OR TWO!!  Makes me sick.  Updates asap.
Engine started, took out camshaft, and a few valves...it was an expensive lesson in never let your friends work on your engine. Sorry we felt this pain from the other side. They meant well but forgot to put a plug in and the other one turned it backwards...blown race engine. What can you do...rebuild.
Trust your Woobie!

TylerCharger69

I dunno...my leaving a beach towel in the lifter valley of a friends GTO  wasnt too smart either....lol..At least it didnt cause any damage :slap:

Chevysrule

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on June 14, 2010, 06:57:43 PM
I dunno...my leaving a beach towel in the lifter valley of a friends GTO  wasnt too smart either....lol..At least it didnt cause any damage :slap:

Boy were you lucky!! I have a friend who had laid a bunch of red shop rags in the valvetrain of a brand new 383 for his Roadrunner and then set the Valleypan on... walked away to do something else came back finished the job only to realise after several minutes of run-time that the motor started clattering horribly... Yep forgot those pesky rags and whiped out a brand new motor....

I have many tools I have found in the lifter galley of misc V8 engines over the years... Once pulled the intake off a 5.0 Muscrat a friend of mine owned and found Pliers, rodac(Gasket cleaner) air tool, screwdriver and a putty knife.....

Cooter

Since this is kinda on topic here...I've been at the current shop for about 4 years now, and we just hired back one of the previous co-workers..This guy is an ex- military guy and I have all the respect for THAT part of him, but the rest of him is a complete Douchebag...

This guy acts like being cool or nice causes him physical pain or something..He's only happy when your are ready to bout kick his ass...So he was in one of his "moods", and telling all of us how "Superior" he is to the human race (Dude is 50 Y/O), he begins work on one of our GOOD, but PICKY AS HELL customers' BLACK early 90's Impala SS....He took off out the shop for a test drive and we got a call about 5 mins later from one of the business's about a guy with a black Impala SS that the left front wheel is off of it...Sho' nuff, I get up there and the left fender is completely Destroyed and it has NEVER been painted or wrecked either...Bobby (The ass) is completely beside himself..I try to never kick anybody when they are down, even an assh**e like this, but not three days later he was back to his old ways....I politely reminded him of the upcoming class on how to tighten lug nuts...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1969chargerrtse

I'm still to sad to work on it.  It sits in my driveway, tomorrow he'll call me and I'll stall him some more.  I'm gonna call my home owners and car Ins company and explain I borrowed the truck and it  popped and smoked on me and see if it can be covered some how?  Probably not, but I'll ask anyway.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

A383Wing

I've been thinking about your "no vacuum" at the power brake hose....it gets vacuum from the intake...on the rear I think?

For no vacuum at that hose, something has to be blown out, cracked, or broken off around where that hose connects at

:shruggy:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: A383Wing on June 20, 2010, 05:52:49 PM
I've been thinking about your "no vacuum" at the power brake hose....it gets vacuum from the intake...on the rear I think?

For no vacuum at that hose, something has to be blown out, cracked, or broken off around where that hose connects at

:shruggy:
I checked the hose and it's in fine shape.  Everyone is telling me the cams being off sync will do that.  I didn't think so at first until my buddy said what happens when you put to big a cam in an engine?  You lose the vacuum for the power brakes.  So now I'm thinking maybe it did skip a tooth?

Cooter

Sounds like you better take that thing to someone a little more knowledgeable before you get into the T-chains...If you thought the starter was hell, wait till you see the Timing chain set up in that engine....The 4.0 liter V6 Ford Exploder has 5 timing chains in it...One of which requires the engine to come out to be replaced..Oh damn, I meant to put that engine in the "Worst Engine" thread...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

A383Wing

I tooth on the timing chain will not cause "ZERO" vacuum....did you run compression test yet? That would be my first step.

Cooter is right....these engines are bastards....there is one timing chain at the rear of passenger side head, if I remember......and yea, had to pull engine to change it. Actually, it was only the chain guide that broke, didn't have to pull head off

Cooter

Well, he did say that this one was the 4.6 V8 I believe, still not one for the novice to be messin' with though...

A383Wing

Quote from: Cooter on June 20, 2010, 08:52:41 PM
Well, he did say that this one was the 4.6 V8 I believe, still not one for the novice to be messin' with though...

Yea...my bad....need new glasses again, I guess.....anyway, 1 tooth off should not get "0" vacuum....I would still run a compression test first

1969chargerrtse

Well, i've done chains before and I found this video.  It's not a pickup, but it is a 4.6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAQwkISqdGw

What I need to do when I get the drive and energy, is to remove the valve covers to see if the timing marks are lined up.  I may have to remove the front cover also.  Problem is I don't want to do any of this unless I know for sure that is the issue.

1969chargerrtse

Most of the people I ask have been telling me it skipped a timing tooth. I am in no way gonna start that project unless I'm 100% sure. I've added up the way it runs, and think intake manifold. Well we sprayed carb cleaner at the base but kinda under the intake and the engine rpm's raised. So that's an intake for sure. I've read about a cam tooth being off on a ford truck forum and most people said it will run weaker but run and nothing about popping and a low vacuum. He picked the truck up and either he is gonna do it and I pay for parts or he's bringing it to a shop. Either way it sucks but I'm just thrilled I don't have to see it's ugly face.

1969chargerrtse

I lucked out in a way.  My friend did the job himself.  He said the lower plastic part of the intake manifold blew out like a bomb went off in it.  Total for parts will be about 350.00 to 400.00 and that is way better than I thought.   

greenpigs

Then why didn't he do it in the first place? :shruggy:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

A383Wing

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on June 28, 2010, 05:36:46 AM
I lucked out in a way.  My friend did the job himself.  He said the lower plastic part of the intake manifold blew out like a bomb went off in it.  Total for parts will be about 350.00 to 400.00 and that is way better than I thought.   

Which is why I kept saying that "0" vacuum at the brake hose would not be a "timing chain" problem.....I figured there was a "hole" there somewhere that wasn't supposed to be

1969chargerrtse

He just emailed me that his uncle got him all the parts needed for 357.00!!  His cost from internet shopping was close to 600.00  I hope that's all that's wrong with it.  I lucked out on this one.