News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Power Brake Booster

Started by 70charger2006, December 04, 2010, 07:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70charger2006

Hello, I am working on my '70 Charger and I am wondering if anybody could let me know the difference between a power brake booster for a drum wheel setup vs. a booster for a disk brake setup? Right now I have front disc rear 11" drum brake setup with a drum brake power brake booster and master cylinder. Will this work? Or do I need to replace anything? I have been told multiple things and I just want to figure it out before the engine goes in.

Thanks for all the help.
Greg

1970 Dodge Charger 500
2006 Dodge Charger R/T Daytona
2007 Dodge Ram 1500

Ghoste

I can tell you that the drum brake master cylinder is going to have insufficient capacity.  The disc mc has a larger resevoir in it to fill the demands of the calipers.

70charger2006

Quote from: Ghoste on December 04, 2010, 07:43:42 PM
I can tell you that the drum brake master cylinder is going to have insufficient capacity.  The disc mc has a larger resevoir in it to fill the demands of the calipers.

Yeah I was guessing I would already have to swap that out. My biggest concern is the booster. I don't really want to go with an aftermarket booster since I don't want to have to modify the firewall or make some sort of bracket to make it work. I want the look of an original setup but can't seem to find a "disk brake booster". I have even looked at regular auto parts stores and can only find boosters for drum brake cars. Is there really a big difference?
Greg

1970 Dodge Charger 500
2007 Dodge Ram 1500

rrob

Quote from: 70charger2006 on December 04, 2010, 07:41:11 PM
Hello, I am working on my '70 Charger and I am wondering if anybody could let me know the difference between a power brake booster for a drum wheel setup vs. a booster for a disk brake setup? Right now I have front disc rear 11" drum brake setup with a drum brake power brake booster and master cylinder. Will this work? Or do I need to replace anything? I have been told multiple things and I just want to figure it out before the engine goes in.

I've got the same booster with a disc brake master cylinder in my 69 with disc front and when I drove it (just one test drive before I tore it apart for restoration)
the brakes worked OK except there was a lot of peddle effort required. I'm thinking this booster is not right for disc brake applications, anyone know? I also would like to put in one that will work properly before the engine goes back in. Cheers.  Rob
Thanks for all the help.
69 charger, 440, automatic

b5blue

What you have is not only fine it's better than most of the crap they sell.  :2thumbs: Just be sure the adjuster nut on the output rod is set proper for the new master cylinder, it should be set to just barely be short of touching the plunger piston.   :2thumbs: I make a gauge out of a wire coat hanger.

70charger2006

So would it work if I was to use a power disk brake booster and master cylinder from say a 73 Dodge Dart? I am told that it should line up to the firewall and work fine. I just want to get some more opinions.
Greg

1970 Dodge Charger 500
2007 Dodge Ram 1500

b5blue

I'm confused....is that photo your car....if it is just change the master. (That booster looks new.)

70charger2006

Quote from: b5blue on December 05, 2010, 07:53:22 AM
I'm confused....is that photo your car....if it is just change the master. (That booster looks new.)

Yes that is my car. And the booster is actually far from new. Both the booster and master are original from a 69 Charger drum brake car. I just cleaned the crap out of it and painted it.
Greg

1970 Dodge Charger 500
2007 Dodge Ram 1500

jaak

Disc brake cars had a Bendix booster....which is difficult to find. I got one from a member here for $75 and sent it to Prior Brake service in Texas to have it rebuilt (cost a little over $100 for a rebuild).

Jason

gtx6970

Yes the booster and master cylinder will work fine. with some modifications

there is a residual valve under the primary outlet to the ft brakes that needs removed to work on Disc brakes.

then you just need to keep a closer eye on the fluid levels as the disc brakes wear

or you can have the outlet rod on the booster adjusted to work with a disc brake master cylinder , a friend of mine has the exact setup on his 70 challenger it it works perfectly

b5blue

Just to clarify, if that booster required ANY effort......it's bad. When my Midland Ross booster was working, even with 10" drum brakes, it was almost too much boost. I darn near busted my lip on the steering wheel because it was soooo sensitive the first time I tested it after installing it. I could use 1 toe to brake.  :o  (At that time I was running a 509 cam with low vacuum to!) 

ACUDANUT

Hmmm, never heard of a power booster for drum brakes.  :scratchchin:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 29, 2010, 07:57:26 PM
Hmmm, never heard of a power booster for drum brakes.  :scratchchin:

Yup...code B51 alone on the tag (for a '69 at least)

Chris' '69 Charger R/T