News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rear seal leak

Started by wrench, June 23, 2010, 08:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrench

Hi guys. i need your advice. I have a World hemi block and originally had a leaking rear main seal. I replaced the seal with a fel-pro and i think it leaks worse. When i installed the seal, it seemed loose in the upper block(very easy to install and moved around in the groove) so i smeared a little bit of silicone sealer for added insurance but it didn't seem to do the trick. Is there a different seal available with either a bigger lip or more pliable lip? The dodge seal lip just seems so small and ridgid.  Thanks.

RD

did you buy and use a aftermarket rear main cap? some of the aftermarket pieces do not have a particular area machined well enough and are causing a leak due to increase pressure by the seal.  there is a thread on it somewhere on this forum you may want to search for if you did, indeed, buy an aftermarket rear main cap.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

wrench

you mean the rear seal cap or the rear crankshaft main cap?? it has a new mopar rear seal cap.

RD

Quote from: wrench on June 24, 2010, 11:46:22 PM
you mean the rear seal cap or the rear crankshaft main cap?? it has a new mopar rear seal cap.

sorry, meant rear main seal cap.  if its a mopar piece, then what i said does not apply to your situation unless its a casting error. compare to your OE cap to be sure.

did you install the seal with the ridge/lip facing the inside of the engine or outside?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

wrench

A383Wing

Seal should not be loose...should be a tight fit....wrong seal?

wrench

seal looked exactly like the one i took out(which i guess doesn't mean anything), but i think it's the right one. i think maybe the machining was a little on the big side. has anyone heard of that?

charger2fast4u

Quote from: wrench on June 29, 2010, 07:32:52 PM
seal looked exactly like the one i took out(which i guess doesn't mean anything), but i think it's the right one. i think maybe the machining was a little on the big side. has anyone heard of that?

i would say that it's definitly possible if it's aftermarket. i work in a cnc shop and seen parts returned from customers because the parts slipped by being out of tolerance. anyway you can get the measurements of it to compair to stock specs?