News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is it necessary to paint roof?

Started by TXcharger70, June 19, 2010, 05:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TXcharger70

I was wonder if it is necessary to paint the roof if i am putting a vinyl top on? or can i just leave it primered

y3chargerrt

I'd paint it unless you want to see rust bubbles forming under your new top in the future.

b5blue

Primer holds water and will promote rust. You want a good paint for the glue to stick well to.

Silver R/T

^^^^No paint necessary. Just use good quality 2k epoxy primer. Paint alone does not provide any rust protection whatsoever.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

b5blue

So you can glue to epoxy primer? (Test areas on my car with just epoxy primer are rusting, too thin maybe.)  :shruggy:

bill440rt

TX, put a coat of paint on the roof before you apply the vinyl top for good measure. Epoxy primer will provide rust protection better than other primers, but if you have the paint already in the gun it wouldn't hurt to give the roof a coat or two.
At the start of the paint job I applied a sealer. I then simply gave my roof one coat of basecoat, then one coat of clear just so there was something else on it besides primer. Before applying the top, I lightly sanded it to "de-nib" the paint. Any dirt nibs may show thru the vinyl.
To say paint provides ZERO rust protection is simply not accurate. It will provide better rust protection over primer than just leaving primer alone.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

TXcharger70

thanks for the replies. The car is painted but the guy who is painted it said it wouldn't be necessary to paint the top, that the primer would be fine. But i  agree that the paint would add some insurance and help seal it better. Now is do i need to apply clear coat as well?

Silver R/T

Paint is porous (base coat) Just do experiment yourself. Get a piece of steel and shoot some base coat on it. Leave it out in rain/weather and check back on it in a month or so. There will be rust all over it. If you want to waste paint painting roof go ahead, it's YOUR money. Of course I don't know much, I'm only a painter duh...

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

TXcharger70

So use a paint and clear or leave it primer

Silver R/T

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

FLG

I agree with silver...honestly id go the extra mile not only use SPI's epoxy but also shoot BB/CC on that sucker as well. You dont want to do things twice...especially expensive things.

b5blue

Silver, for all us non-painters....will you briefly explain? (I paint, just not cars) I need a "primer" on automotive primer's then, you have "Poly", "Epoxy", "self etching", stuff like "Rust Bullet" and the black stuff Eastwood sells, then there is the gray and iron oxide deep red type (enamel I guess) so to me when someone said "primer" with no prefix I now see it could be 6-7 different types...... :eek2: (I'm not even touching on weld through, Por 15, or "base coat being permeable") The reason I'm asking is I have tried some different "primers" on my car and they all end up with rust through, I was hoping to find some type that would hold up and let me use the car while I slowly do repairs to the body here and there.   :shruggy:

bill440rt

A poly-surfacer primer is usually hi-build with high pigment content. It is used for filling sand scratches in body filler, minor imperfections, or panel blocking.
A self-etching primer usually is a very thin primer, and adheres very well to bare metal.
An epoxy primer has excellent bonding characteristics. It is the least porous.

The original question to this post was "Is it necessary to paint the roof?", in concern that the vehicle was getting a vinyl top.
The concern was if primer was porous and would let moisture in, thereby causing the roof to rust under the vinyl. Primers have some level of porosity, and if they didn't why would vehicles have paint? Gotta ask, from one painter to another, who the hell just puts basecoat over bare steel???  :smilielol:   Nearly all paints designed for automotive refinishing will not adhere to bare steel, you NEED a primer for adhesion. And, if basecoat is porous, then by reason a clear must be applied to seal out moisture. Clear is essentially paint without pigment.

One last comment. Picture this. You're in the booth, paint suit on. The car is all masked up. It's just been sealed and you are ready to spray paint. You have a tack rag. The gun is filled with paint. How much extra time, effort, or material will it take to give the roof one simple coat of paint?? And, if you're doing 2-stage, one simple coat of clear?? 3-4 minutes maybe? And a half a gun of material?
The answer almost requires no thought process. Put some paint up there. It's worth the peace of mind if anything else.

Good luck with whatever you decide.  :2thumbs:

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Rolling_Thunder

I believe the factory did NOT paint the roof - they only used primer...        how many cars have with vinyl tops have rust under them ?   I say just paint the roof as well -  what can it hurt - you're there anyway
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Silver R/T

Quote from: bill440rt on June 20, 2010, 10:06:22 AM
A poly-surfacer primer is usually hi-build with high pigment content. It is used for filling sand scratches in body filler, minor imperfections, or panel blocking.
A self-etching primer usually is a very thin primer, and adheres very well to bare metal.
An epoxy primer has excellent bonding characteristics. It is the least porous.

The original question to this post was "Is it necessary to paint the roof?", in concern that the vehicle was getting a vinyl top.
The concern was if primer was porous and would let moisture in, thereby causing the roof to rust under the vinyl. Primers have some level of porosity, and if they didn't why would vehicles have paint? Gotta ask, from one painter to another, who the hell just puts basecoat over bare steel???  :smilielol:   Nearly all paints designed for automotive refinishing will not adhere to bare steel, you NEED a primer for adhesion. And, if basecoat is porous, then by reason a clear must be applied to seal out moisture. Clear is essentially paint without pigment.

One last comment. Picture this. You're in the booth, paint suit on. The car is all masked up. It's just been sealed and you are ready to spray paint. You have a tack rag. The gun is filled with paint. How much extra time, effort, or material will it take to give the roof one simple coat of paint?? And, if you're doing 2-stage, one simple coat of clear?? 3-4 minutes maybe? And a half a gun of material?
The answer almost requires no thought process. Put some paint up there. It's worth the peace of mind if anything else.

Good luck with whatever you decide.  :2thumbs:

To answer your questions. Yes some primers are porous. Epoxy primer is not once it's activated with proper activator. It chemically reacts with activator and provides moisture/air barrier over the metal thus providing BEST protection for the metal.
Vehicles have paint cause nobody wants to drive primered gray/black cars, people love colors! Why would you put color UNDER vinyl top, unless your vinyl top was translucent?
Epoxy primer will provide plenty of protection if applied as specified, you could put a coat of clear over it if you still worried about it but it won't be necessary.
Painting roof is not necessary-it's optional.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

twodko

I recently had this same dilemma, after bouncing your question off the forum membership, I choose to give the roof a coat of paint. These cars came from the factory with primer only on VT cars.....not good. Save yourself a redo in the future and put some color up there. You'll be glad you did and no "shoulda, coulda, woulda".

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

FLG

Silvers is right in the sense if you use an epoxy primer your sealing the roof. But why not just use an epoxy and spray it when you paint the car. Your not talking a lot of extra time or materials and it will only add another layer of protection.

69*F5*SE

Paint the friggin roof!  What's the big deal?   :Twocents:

PA Dodger

FWIW, When i had my Charger painted years ago (lacquer paint) I was told not to paint the roof for a vinyl top because the paint/glue combination could cause a problem with paint lifting or glue sticking. But there are enough people here who painted their roof before the vinyl top with no problems so I guess it's not an issue. I can't say I've seen many vinyl tops laying on the side of the road recently.

Dan
'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

bill440rt

Quote from: PA Dodger on June 23, 2010, 08:39:11 PM
FWIW, When i had my Charger painted years ago (lacquer paint) I was told not to paint the roof for a vinyl top because the paint/glue combination could cause a problem with paint lifting or glue sticking. But there are enough people here who painted their roof before the vinyl top with no problems so I guess it's not an issue. I can't say I've seen many vinyl tops laying on the side of the road recently.

Dan

Dan, most if not all vinyl top adhesives are solvent based contact adhesives. They would probably dissolve or soften the lacquer paint. Ditto for lacquer primers.
With today's modern catalyzed enamels & urethanes there is nothing to worry about, they would not be affected by the adhesive.

twodko

69*F5*SE,

Don't be so vague! hahaha

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!