News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dennis Hopper dead @ 74. Ride easy, Billy.....>>>>>

Started by Johnny SixPack, May 29, 2010, 01:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny SixPack

(CNN) -- Dennis Hopper, the one-time Hollywood enfant terrible who portrayed such indelible characters as "Easy Rider's" biker Billy, "Blue Velvet's" huffing villain Frank Booth and "Hoosiers' " forlorn Shooter Flatch, died of prostate cancer Saturday morning at his home in Venice, California, his wife said. He was 74.

There was Dennis Hopper before "Easy Rider," generally known as a clean-cut, if rebellious, character actor who had built a career of supporting roles in Westerns, youth-oriented films and TV shows.

There was Dennis Hopper after "Easy Rider," for years one of Hollywood's wild men, an actor with a penchant for alcohol, drugs and outlandish behavior, and later a go-to performer to play villains and commanding misfits.

And then there was "Easy Rider," the 1969 film that he directed and co-wrote, and in which he played a dissolute, countercultural biker named Billy. Thanks to the film, Hopper helped blaze a trail for the young, aggressive filmmakers who would take Hollywood by storm in the 1970s.

Over almost six decades as a performer and director, his career spanned a range of Hollywood trends: TV's live "Golden Age," films about disillusioned teenagers, a variety of Westerns, anti-establishment dramas, offbeat indie films, action blockbusters and edgy cable series. He often played villains, occasionally lost souls, almost all with a force and empathy.

James Dean, an early friend whom Hopper met when he was 18 and Dean was 24, became a lifelong model, Hopper once said.

Dean was "a guerrilla artist who attacked all restrictions on his sensibility. ... I imitated his style in art and in life. It got me in a lot of trouble," Hopper recalled.

Dennis Lee Hopper was born in Dodge City, Kansas, on May 17, 1936. He grew up in San Diego, California, and established an early reputation for stage work.

Making his way to Hollywood while still in his teens, he quickly earned roles in several films and TV shows, including "Rebel Without a Cause" (1955), in which he met Dean. The two also appeared in "Giant" (1956).

more @ link:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/05/29/obit.dennis.hopper1/index.html

They say deaths come in threes, and Gary was #1.
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

greenpigs

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

squeakfinder

I was gonna say death comes in three's also. But actually, I think Hopper makes three.. :'(    

For those old enough to remember Art Linkletter .....

Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: squeakfinder on May 29, 2010, 02:26:08 PM
I was gonna say death comes in three's also. But actually, I think Hopper makes three.. :'(    

For those old enough to remember Art Linkletter .....

Good call, man.

Totally forgot about Art. :angel:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

jeryst

Too bad about Hopper.

Man, I thought Art died years ago.

1969chargerrtse

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

TruckDriver

He was always a bad guy in most movies, but he was really good at it. he was one of my favorite actors. Rest easy Dennis  :'(
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

73chgrSE

Blue Velvet and Paris Trout were a couple of his lesser known but great films. He was great at being the bad guy. RIP DH

bull

mikesbbody

R.I.P the funny thing is I just bought the DVD a few days ago (Easy Rider)
I had never actually seen it! great Movie  :2thumbs:

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: 73chgrSE on May 29, 2010, 05:18:23 PM
Blue Velvet and Paris Trout were a couple of his lesser known but great films. He was great at being the bad guy. RIP DH

I still get chills whenever I see his performance in, "Blue Velvet". :yesnod:

The scene with him hitting off the NO2 tank is nuts. :o
Johnny's Herd:

squeakfinder

I alway's think about the crazy photographer in Apocalypse Now when I see Hopper..

Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

FlatbackFanatic

Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN

Brock Samson

I hadn't realized how much he was responsible for EZ Rider,.. I all ways liked the angst he brought to the screen, more like reality then most actors characterizations I felt.

RD

RIP for a fellow Kansan. (the only time you will see me do this btw)
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Al

Farewell to a great actor. For those familiar with Rudyard Kipling's "If", check out the following link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySRA0cNICuY&feature=related

Al
1968 Dodge Charger, 383, UU1