News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

inst cluster removal

Started by pistolgrip, May 26, 2010, 02:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pistolgrip

can someone give advice on the removal of a gauge cluster on a 1974 charger

thanks...
pistolgrip

Nacho-RT74

-Remove radio ( mandatory )
-not really required but Myself advice remove AC-heater control, specially if rallye cluster... Dunno why standart cluster is easier without need to remove it. If decide to remove AC-Heater control with cluster, then unplug vacuum lines pigtail and heater wires. Vacuum lines can be keep on control, there is an intermediate plug around brake pedal brackets or hanging around.
-drop column ( fortunatelly 74s are A LOT EASIER TO DROP than earliers )
-4 screws on bezel ( visible ) and two more screws down the dash at sides of column "tunnel"
-remove wires, plugs, speedo wire, sockets ammeter wires. becarefull with ammeter... you need to disconect batt. you can make it with cluster dropped, no need to get underneath the dash. Not really need to label everywire and socket. Is a non idiot system since housing is LABELED LOL

Done.

another advice... mask the area around cluster with masking tape, since all the play coming and going ( specially when dropped the cluster ) will PROBABLY scratch the dash frame finish

I think another trick will be loose headlights switch and wiper switch from cluster to DON'T NEED to unplug them, SPECIALLY once again if rally cluster, due the poor room on back as mentioned. Standart cluster is WAAAAAY easier so no need to remove them

Rallye clusters are a little bit tight than standarts since the fit deeper into the dash frame, so maybe to install the cluster back will be a little bit "trickier" specially around wiper switch area.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

pistolgrip

thanks, i appreciate the information