News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Disc break conversion question

Started by troy.70R/T, May 31, 2010, 03:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troy.70R/T

I am about done with the disc break conversion on my 70 Charger. However I have just a couple questions.
     1. I see that on the Mopar Tech Archives website that their calipers hang off to the front of the rotor. Mine are also positioned this way. I see in there pictures that the rubber break line runs back through and under the top A-arm (as does mine). The question I have is if it is safe or not. I can't see any where were it might get pinched, but I know that on my drum brake set up it did not route the same way. It was routed so that it never passed through and under the A-frame. So what do you all think? :shruggy:

2. My second question is this I am using a Willwood adjustable proportioning valve (also using a residual pressure valve on the rear break line). So will I be able to totally remove the factory proportioning valve?

3. Why do all the break lines that come from the master cylinder have coils/ loops in them? is this for air or strength? will I need to put a loop in the new break lines?

b5blue

I noticed the same things. Are you using slider or pin type calipers? I have collected most of what I need for the swap and am using slider type with 11 3/4 rotors. On them the banjo type caliper hose, has part of the hose made of steel in that area and nothing can hit it as it gets moved around. I didn't think the pressure valve needed a residual valve if you were certain your rear wheel cylinders had the disks inside them to hold sealing action. The coils of brake tube I believe are called "strain relief windings" to keep the lines flexible, preventing stress cracking from chassis flex. (and to make it harder to bleed all the air from the system, creating "stress" on us.  :lol: )

troy.70R/T

Thanks for the answers. I am not sure if my rear breaks are designed with that in thcylinders but I thought the article said it was all 75 and newr cars that had that in the wheel cylinder. So I guess mine would not have them. :shruggy: I was just going to put that residual valve in cause the last thread I had on this subject it seemed like everyone else was using one.

troy.70R/T

I also used the pin type calipers and the big rotors.

b5blue

All "replacement" cylinders should have them for the last 20 years or so (no matter what year car they were made for). So I assumed mine have them as they were replaced a few years ago.  :shruggy: I have the big old school Mopar pressure adjuster to plumb in, like in their photo. (found it NOS on ebay) Good Luck Troy, I wish I was putting mine on too!  :2thumbs:

BlueSS454

You can mount the calipers either way on the spindles.  When I put the disc conversion my car, I rear mounted them so there would not be any clearance issues with the sway bar.  I used late B Body spindle assemblies from a '78 Magnum so I could use the 11.75" rotors and slider calipers.  I also used a disc brake master cylinder for a 1971 Charger. 

The block that is mounted on the frame is a distribution block and will need to be retained.  I only installed the block inline with the rear brakes when I did the conversion. 

The master cylinder lines have loops in them for heat dissipation and anti-vibration purposes.

Here are a couple pics from the driver side:

Tom Rightler

troy.70R/T

Thanks for clearing up those questions for me. BlueSS454, Troy Well as slow as I am B5blue you will probably have yours done first. :yesnod:

Chatt69chgr

BlueSS454-----what is the part number of the brake hose shown in your picture?

BlueSS454

Tom Rightler