News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Things to be aware of when swapping a 440 for a 383/318?

Started by bakerhillpins, May 13, 2010, 08:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerhillpins

So I am still looking to buy a Charger and presently I am hoping to some day end up with a 440-6 in it. Many chargers out there are 318/383s that have a 440 dropped in (or ultimately that may be the direction that I end up going). Regardless, are there any issues that I should be aware of when buying a car that has had this conversion (or doing so in the future)? I understand the obvious, that the engine has lots more HP/TQ, so in general does that mean that I need to make sure that I have a particular transmission, rear end or ??? Is this only an issue on 318 cars?
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

A383Wing

Trans is different from a 318 to a 440...different bolt pattern. Brakes will need to be upgraded. As will radiator....rear end will need to be upgraded if you have the weaker 8-1/4" style....upgrade to an 8-3/4" or Dana

The rest is obvious, accelerator cable, power steering brackets & alt brackets....exhaust will need to be better as well

Those are just the highlights...

bakerhillpins

Quote from: A383Wing on May 13, 2010, 09:03:02 PM
Trans is different from a 318 to a 440...different bolt pattern. Brakes will need to be upgraded. As will radiator....rear end will need to be upgraded if you have the weaker 8-1/4" style....upgrade to an 8-3/4" or Dana

So reading between the lines, if I were to get a 383 car then I wouldn't have to worry about the trans or rear end as they should be able to mate up and deal with the power.

Your referring to the 904 that is typically mated to the 318 yes?

Thanks  :cheers:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

A383Wing

68blue

From everything I have read on this forum you can get quite a lot out of a 383, just wish I had stroked mine when rebuilding it.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: 68blue on May 14, 2010, 08:53:19 AM

From everything I have read on this forum you can get quite a lot out of a 383, just wish I had stroked mine when rebuilding it.

I don't doubt that and that is one of the things I am struggling with - the completely un-rational want/need/desire for a 440-6 because it's just plain cool.  :D
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

ChargerĀ“69

Quote from: bakerhillpins on May 14, 2010, 09:02:17 AM
Quote from: 68blue on May 14, 2010, 08:53:19 AM

I don't doubt that and that is one of the things I am struggling with - the completely un-rational want/need/desire for a 440-6 because it's just plain cool.  :D

Of course, I understand  :icon_smile_big: :2thumbs: And, You can get much more out of a 440 than 383, that can be stroked too........  :cheers: :2thumbs:
Plymouth Fury "Christine's Sister" 4x4 6-71 1959
Dodge Charger R/T 440cid 1969
Pontiac Trans Am T-top SuperBandit 400cid 1978
Jeep Cherokee Renegade 4x4 3.7 2006

ACUDANUT

I have had faster 383's than 440's (at times) through the years.  IT MUST have been what was inside them.  :shruggy:
383 seem to have a higher max rpm's too. Anyway, I love the 440's too. They get the WOW factor. At a glance, they look the same though, and share everthing bolted on except the intake. :Twocents: