News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking to upgrade the camshaft and carbourator for my '71 Charger SE 383 2-bbl

Started by scott0729, April 18, 2010, 09:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scott0729

I have a 1971 Charger SE that came stock with a 383 2-barrel. I am considering replacing the camshaft and upgrading to a 4-bbl carbourator, but was wondering if anyone else might have done this already and can suggest reasonably priced replacement parts. The car is about 80% restored, but it originally came with a single exhaust and finding a replacement y-pipe has been somewhat difficult and expensive. I am upgrading to dual exhaust, but figured I might as well upgrade the cam and carb to get some extra HP. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ghoste

There is such a variety of choice but the most important thing is to choose parts that are well matched.  One of the keys to correctly matching speed parts is to realistically know your goals.  So...
What are your plans for the car performance wise?  (intended use and level of performance)

scott0729

I am really just looking to add some more HP. I don't plan on racing it or anything, but I really want to get the HP over 300 from the 275 it is at now.

Ghoste

In that case, you may be happy with a stock Chrysler four barrel intake for the car and one of the repro "Magnum" camshafts.  You might also want to consider a good aluminum dual plane.  You can get decent ones that would be considered a mild modification for not alot of money especially if you look at used ones.  Once you get into something like the Performer RPM though you begin to run into hood clearance issues and what have you so although it's become the highly recommended dual plane of the day, it might not be the right one in your case.

71383bee

I agree.

The plain jane performer intake with a 650 sized carb would be perfect. 

For exhaust I would get a set of HP manifolds and go with TTI's 2 1/2 inch manifold back H pipe setup.  They come stock with turn downs at the end so no worrys about your valence. 

For cam I would stick with a mild nostalgia plus grind from Comp maybe.  Something close to the 383 HP grinds would do fine.  Paint the intake orange, get a 4 BBl air cleaner and anew pie tin and no one will know the better!
71 - FC7 383 Super Bee

Als73charger

694spdRT

I would use an Engle K54 cam with the lower compression 400 and the 516 heads you picked bought.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi