News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dash cap fron yaer one

Started by my1st68charger, April 13, 2010, 08:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

my1st68charger

I just bought a dash cap from yaerone,it came with a tube of sillacone .The instructions say to put a bead all around the outside then clamp it on .Does anyone have any ideas on thid or any tricks I shound know before I atempt this job?

bull

The only trick I would recommend is that you send it back to Y1 and buy a complete dash pad from beaparts.com

I haven't heard anything good about those caps.

lexxman

I was wondering about the caps.I was thinking about getting one,but putting it on with silicone!? I would think you'd have to glue it on.

AKcharger

Well I'll tell ya' what there 1st Charger, I didn't have an extra $500-750 to blow on a dash cap for my '72 So I bought one, installed it almost 3 years go and it came out fine and looks great!

- If you're putting it on a '68 should be easier than mine so don't worry
- You use Silicone as opposed to cement 'cause the dash will flex with heat/cold and it needs to move...same reason you ONLY silicone the edges, if you do the center it will NOT flex and will crack or warp

Here's what I did, take your time do it right and you'll be happpy with it!

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,35447.0.html

bull

Not sure what color you need but the black ones are $225 at beaparts.com. $20 more for color.

Ryan

I agree, send it back. You will not be happy with it. I installed one on my car and I had it on there for about 15 minutes before it went in the trash. I ended up getting lucky and finding a perfect original pad on ebay, the repros were not availabe when I did mine.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

jaak

I put one in my '73, for a driver its alright....Im not thrilled with it, but it looks alot better than a cracked up dash pad. If you decide to use it do just like the instructions say, use silicone around the outer perimeter...so it can "flex".

bull

I'm not sure but I would think a third gen dash cap from Y1 would work much better than one for a 2nd gen, just based on the amount of surface area being glued down. :shruggy: :Twocents: And I believe the thread-starter has a 68.

jeryst

I agree that the best way to go is an original dash. Second best is a reman dash. Third is a dash cap.

But not everyone has the time, money, or experience to go with the first two. And in that case, a dash
cap, if done correctly, looks acceptable.

American Dash Caps sells a 69 Charger cap for $65. I never bought a Charger one from them, but I
bought one for an a-body, and it was fine.

I wont buy anything from Year One. To me, they are more expensive than everybody else.

Silver R/T

Ya, you can get dash cap from ebay
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722