News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Msd Ready to run Billet Distributor Part# 8386 for Chrysler Big Block?

Started by raull, December 08, 2005, 05:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raull

Hello again.

I need help in deciding on what to get, to convert from points to electronic distributor.

Msd Ready to run Billet Distributor Part# 8386 for Chrysler Big Block
This distributor does not need an msd 6 box as the multi-spark module is built into it.

Is this distributor good or better to get electronic box with point distributor, or electronic distributor.
This would be for my 1966 newport 383 engine, 727 tranny.

What other set up would I need with any combo I get? Any advise would be appreciated allot.
I am looking for better gas mileage, start ups, and take off with the stock engine.

cudaken

I have never ran that Dist, so I can neither say good or bad about thhat pices my self. But, what does t cost? I know you have that 440 waiting in the wings. My self, well first I love MSD. I would buy the MSD box, up grade to a stock electronic DIST. Have it recurved and run it with the MSD box. MSD Dist for a 383 will not fit the the 440 later. Hate to see you buy something that later you will have no need of.

Ken
I am back

Chryco Psycho

MSD is the most expensive way to go , if you use the Pro billet at least the control box can have a rev limiter , I doubt the 1 piece dist will have a rev limiter
the Pertornics is the cheapest conversion but I have seen both good & bad in these
somewhere in the middle is the Mopar performace kit which is as adjustable as the MSD , th Chrome box is a better box then the orange one though
you can get a rebuilt dist from a local parts store & but the chrome box & wire it up for a lot less than the kit

Ghoste

firefighter3931

The Chrome box is rated for 8000rpm and the orange box is 6000. The orange box will start to "retard" timeing after 5500 rpm so it's not the best choice for a hot street engine, inmo. The factory distributor is fine and a rebuilt parts house unit with a chrome box or better yet....an MSD unit is a very nice upgrade.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

I've had the chrome and the orange ones on mine and the chrome ones seem to go bad on me for some reason.  I have an orange one on it again now.

firefighter3931

Ya, that MP stuff sure isn't the same quality it used to be ! Last time i ran the engine on my 70r/t it was idleing horribly with the orange box. I Checked the spark and it looked weak (dull orange) and also noticed that the box was dripping dark resin down the firewall from behind the orange box.   :P Needless to say it'll be getting an MSD box before i start driving it again.   :icon_smile_big:

It seems to be hit or miss with the MP ignition boxes. I have some old ones kicking around that never melted and worked ok when they were pulled. The issue is more than likely with MP's "current" supplier.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

I guess it doesn't matter much either way, I've already decided to put a multistrike in for next spring anyway.

raull

Yes I see the msd distributor going low.  But the price is unbeatable less than $180. I checked pro billet goes for 200. Yes I dont think that distributor has a rev limeter. But hey its for the 383 street car. still waiting for more info thx again.

Runner

the orange boxes seem to go bad long before the chrome on most cars.   the new mp distributor is made by mallory and it is pretty easy to set the amout of mechanical advance (no more welding and grinding on the slots).   as for the orange box and chrome box performance differance, no et gain with my 383 going from orange to chrome shifting at 6500 rpm.   however i didnt see any et gain going to a mallory hifire 6 box either  (the 685 version)  if the igntion is in good working order, and the tune up is right, then no gains will be seen.

i really dont understand why mp doesnt sell a kit with the orange box and one with the chrome box.

ron, you should give the mallory 685 box a look, you might find that you like it better than the msd stuff, its definatly a hole lot more user friendly, and you get alot more options for less money.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Chryco Psycho

I have never had  a chrome box fail , seem a buch of orange ones go down though
I agree the Mallory or Crane offers more bang for the $$

firefighter3931

Quote from: Runner on December 09, 2005, 01:36:53 PM

ron, you should give the mallory 685 box a look, you might find that you like it better than the msd stuff, its definatly a hole lot more user friendly, and you get alot more options for less money.

Mike, i've had so much good luck with MSD i'm allmost hesitant to change for fear of ticking off the "ignition gods", lol ! Call me superstitious or whatever but when i find something that works, i like to stick with it. I've allways found that the multispark keeps the plugs cleaner and the engine starts/idles better than compared to a single spark/conventional ignition. Most street cars spend the majority of their time under 3000 rpm anyway so the multiple spark discharge helps, especially with cam profiles that have longer seat timing. The MSD really seems to clean up the idle and make tuning easier....that's been my experience.   :icon_smile_cool:

Ron

Chryco Psycho

I have the opposite experience , I have seen more bad MSD boxes & I hate paying $60 for a batch of rev limiter chips when all the others use a dial

cudaken

I have had great luck with my MSD's. I still have a old MSD 5 that work fine. Bought it use around 1985.

Cuda Ken

Neil, maybe they don't like 30 below temps :icon_smile_approve:                 
I am back

Chryco Psycho