News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

free ford nine inch rear

Started by jar1292, April 04, 2010, 07:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jar1292

hi guys my question is whats the advantages or disadvantages to a ford nine inch rear end? I have a guy tell me yesterday that if i want it to come get it its just taking up space in his shop. I dont know the condition of it though. my 70 has the 8 3/4 under it now. how hard is it to convert and what douse it change for measurements im looking at around 650hp when finished so i think i need to duild up the back end now while its still on stands. is this a wise move or am i lookin fr a bad time?
Restoring a charger is like a saying I heard along time ago "I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it".... Jesus I wish I could remember who said that...

Rolling_Thunder

well if you get the ford 9" you'll assume the following

CONS:
- Width will need to be modified (most likely not correct currently)
- Ford brakes in the rear
- Universal Joint Change
- New Spring Perches

PROS:
- Stronger than the 8.75"
- Greater Gear Selection

My opinion is to just keep the 8.75...      I would definately snag it if it if free though
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

ACUDANUT

8 3/4 is a great rearend. If you had a 8 1/4 I would be worried and would want the ford 9 inch. :Twocents:

elacruze

If I was offered a free Ford 9 inch, I'd bring it home and put it on Craigslist or ebay for $$ or trade for 8-3/4 or D60.
Is the 9 out of a car or truck?
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Ghoste

Another pro and con;
Pro- huge aftermarket support
Con- robs more horsepower than the Mopar 8.75 (higher frictional loss because of the way the pinion meets the ring gear, a minor issue but an issue nonetheless)

Cooter

Pro....................About a 1/4" difference (1/8th on each side of the ring gear)..

Cons..........It's a damn Ford rearend and eveybody and their brother does it...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

TylerCharger69

True, Cooter....I did it...and it was a big mistake!!!  Put a Ford rear end under a Mopar....and KABOOM!!!  Broken rear end beyond repair.....just my   :Twocents:

Brock Samson

:popcrn:  isn't that what the Duketona has?..  :shruggy:

200MPH

Charger

GreenMachine

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.