News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need torque specs for rear main seal replacement....

Started by russg, March 28, 2010, 12:00:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

russg

Job is going slow but I'm making headway.  Found out the main seal bearing retainer is broken where the oil pan bolts come up, looks like previous owner may have used too long a bolt and it went through the metal.  Guess i better replace that part..  Need to know the torque specs for the seal retainer cap and also for the #5 crank cap that I loosened to help with upper seal R&R.
73 Charger SE, 383, Headman headers, Holley 670 SA, Flowmaster Super 44's

russg

This is the main seal retainer issue, notice lower right where a wrong size bolt broken through the top, I just now broke that little top piece off that was barely hanging on, is there any reason why I wouldn't be able to reuse this if I put silicone on the oilpan bolt that threads through this hole?

elacruze

I would replace the seal housing if I had time to find one. Otherwise, you'll want to seal that hole with something better than silicone. Use 3M Threebond or something similar (Yamabond, Honda liquid gasket). Silicone can dislodge.

Also, it's much preferred to have a service manual for this sort of work. The Google probably knows those torque specs...

There, 0:20.

http://books.google.com.lb/books?id=0LYGoEVMb2MC&pg=PT130&lpg=PT130&dq=mopar+journal+bolt+torque&source=bl&ots=NU37jj-1Mq&sig=ZsnoYe4oiaWcVt_vPQNKoT4jpSs&hl=ar&ei=d_-uS6WFKMuHkAX0y5S7DQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CCYQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=&f=false
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

histoy

Replacement parts are readily available.  Try Mancini Racing.  When you put it back together use two shorter bolts to secure the oil pan in those 2 locations.

russg

wow, 85lbs on the main bearing caps, I always get nervous I'm going to strip something when torqueing that much