News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tic toc tac being adjusted on the fender...why does the needle stick?

Started by Dans 68, March 09, 2010, 09:36:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dans 68

Just thought I'd post my observation that my tachometer needle is sticking slightly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Riz4A2gWw_I) and causing my low readings to be off by a few hundred rpm's. I backed off the jewel adjustment screw a 1/4 turn, with no beneficial effect. I will call RTE and avail myself of their vast tachometer knowledge to get my needle a bit looser (I do have their tachometer kit installed...very easy to do, by the way). If anyone has experienced this problem, and solved it, please let me know. MATS is coming fast and I need to get this back in the dash.  :2thumbs:  I attached a few pics of the old and new circuit boards, and two of the tach on the fender.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

runningman

Had this same issue with mine, I used the RTE board and the exerciser board as well and ran that overnight.  I put a little drop of 3 in 1 oil on the shaft also to help free it up.  It seems to be a lot better now  :Twocents:

TylerCharger69

Not to question anyone...but wouldn't graphite or another type of dry lubricant be better for this application?...It seems to me that after time, dust would adhere itself to any type of oils....just a thought

Dans 68

Good thought. I will see. I just finished calibrating the tach and will install it this weekend. A bit more investigative inquiry showed that the tach would only hang up when it was in a horizontal position. If you orient it vertical (facing up or down) there would be no binding. This tells me that the problem is that the weight of the needle/or shaft end mechanism would cause the shaft to bend slightly under weight, causing the drag. For now I'll live with it.  :2thumbs:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

runningman

I wasn't too worried since the 3 in 1 was such a thin oil and it was applied with the end of a toothpick so there wasn't much.  The tach is also sealed up pretty good.  I didn't think the graphite would be able to work it's way into the mechanism.  Having said this I am not sure that this is the best way but it's what I did.  There is also an adjustment on the tach to keep the needle free, you turn it one way until it starts sticking and back the other until you find the sweet spot.  I'll have to see if I can find a pic of it.