News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Am I nuts?

Started by Magnumcharger, March 24, 2010, 09:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnumcharger

I'm 47 and seriously considering going to University in 2012 to take Mechanical Engineering.
I'll have to take a considerable amount of academic upgrading just to meet the admission requirements.
This also means I'll be paying for my daughter's Science degree, my son's residency and likely my wife's Master's degree all at the same time....in addition to my tuition.

Am I coo-coo? :shruggy: :scratchchin: :eek2:
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Magnumcharger on March 24, 2010, 09:43:07 PM
I'm 47 and seriously considering going to University in 2012 to take Mechanical Engineering.
I'll have to take a considerable amount of academic upgrading just to meet the admission requirements.
This also means I'll be paying for my daughter's Science degree, my son's residency and likely my wife's Master's degree all at the same time....in addition to my tuition.

If that's what you want to do - do it!!! 

Make your kids and wife get jobs and/or extra jobs! This is all about number 1.   :D   :lol:

Seriously - Do it or forever kick yourself for not doing it.  :2thumbs:

4cruzin

Getting smarting can never do you wrong!   :2thumbs:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

RD

yeah your nuts.. now you will know what your daughter is doing in college and you will want to chain her to the basement :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

chargergirl

Quote from: RD on March 24, 2010, 09:55:58 PM
yeah your nuts.. now you will know what your daughter is doing in college and you will want to chain her to the basement :D
LMAO...That's alot of tuition...if you can do it...go for it!
Trust your Woobie!

elacruze

Crazy? Maybe. Not if you can afford it.

I have a Plan C to get at least a minor degree, possibly in Mathematics or architecture, and probably not for another 5-10 years so that'll get me nearly to 60...
:shruggy:
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Darkman

You can never be too crazy or too old to get an education!

If you can afford it, definitely do it.

There's a saying that I like, and it goes:

"If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!"
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

tan top

good idea !!
deffo go for it !!  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Magnumcharger

Thanks for the input guys!
I'll be finished twenty years+ in the Airforce in less than two years. This means I'll be pensioned off, which is an advantage when starting a commitment like four years of schooling. My wife will also be retiring from the Army at exactly the same time, so there's going to be a unique opportunity to get all of this done.
My current occupation of Non Destructive testing is ideal in that the summer months are when most plants (electric power, nuclear and refineries) are shutdown for maintenance and inspection. I should be able to make a full years' wage during those four months.
To be honest, I'm petrified with anxiety about going back to school. It's going to be a huge challenge. I was always terrible in math when I was in high school, but have found that over the last thirty years my capacity for learning was greater than I had thought.
Ironically, it was at my insistance that my wife went back to school to get her bachelor's degree in Nursing at age 33. In addition, I've always told my kids that they would be in University after high school, so it was a given that they would find themselves pursuing higher education.
That being said, it's time for me to follow my own advice!
My first step is going to be taking a math fundamentals course at the local community college. After that....it'll be Calculus.  :eek2: then physics  :eek2: then chemistry :eek2:
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

TeeWJay426

Look at it this way.... if you start in 2012, you'd be graduating in 2016. If you DON'T do it, where will you be in 2016, and what would you be doing?

(BTW, my degree is in Mechanical Engineering as well.... feel free to PM me for any advice/input you might like to have, if desired)
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

maxwellwedge

My wife was an Air Force Brat. After retiring from the Forces her father went to college and got his Teachers Degree. He taught right up to age 65 and still did things for the school for the next ten or so years after that. He was afraid to go back to school as well after the forces but has always said it was the best decision he ever made.  :2thumbs:

TruckDriver

No one is ever to old to learn  :Twocents:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

694spdRT

I have a Civil Engineering degree and had a few close friends that went for the Mechanical degree. Personally, it seemed like the course load in mechanical was probably the hardest to get through but, it all depends on your interests and skills. It could be they just complained more too. ;) I preferred the Civil discipline and busted my rear to get through school in 5 years with a transportation and construction emphasis.

At the time I had to have 2 courses of chemistry, 2 courses of physics, 6 courses of advanced math along with all the other basic stuff they teach you.  I was also required to take quite a few of the base courses in mechanics, environmental engineering, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, etc. before focusing on the advanced Civil Engineering courses.

I don't know what your current field is in the Air Force but there must be an interest for you to pick Mechanical Engineering. If you enjoy learning about structure, loads, design, ect., ect. then it would be a good field to get in. I am sure their are advisors that can direct you to what your exact interests are and get a good plan together.  There were people coming back to school in their 40's when I was there and succeeding so it is definately possible. The best advice I can give is to be honest with yourself and your commitment to it. From my experience, earning an engineering degree is not something to do without preparing to seriously dedicate yourself.  You probably already know these things but, it is the reality.  

I wish you the best if you decide to go for it.  
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

twodko

Magnumcharger,

I'm a vet too. You've made a career out of the military........there is nothing you can't do!
I wasn't a math wiz in HS either but discovered in post-military junior college math wasn't as hard as I'd remembered. I loved it and persued advanced classes. You have a far greater incentive to excel now than back in the HS day. You made it through boot, you put on the uniform and for 20+ years you kicked ass and took names. Plus you have a pension, post retirement med/dental coverage and exchange priviledges. You and you wife are setup tight and right. You will do it!
Hand salute.....ready 2!

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

bakerhillpins

Quote from: TruckDriver on March 25, 2010, 09:46:10 AM
No one is ever to old to learn  :Twocents:

:iagree:

Just take your time to plan out your finances and life changes so that it doesn't slap you in the face. Both my Sister-in-law and Brother-in-law left their first professions (after several years in them) and went back to school. Sis from Lawyer to Vet, and Bro from Engineer to Doctor.

You can do anything if you set your mind to it.  :Twocents:  :2thumbs:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Dans 68

Yep, another Mechanical Engineer here.  :2thumbs:  Almost all sound advice and opinions above. As presented it sounds like a no-brainer. Have a great time!  ;D

Quote from: 694spdRT on March 25, 2010, 11:09:16 AM
I have a Civil Engineering degree and had a few close friends that went for the Mechanical degree....

When I was in school I found out the big difference between the Civils and the Mechanicals...Civils build targets, while Mechanicals destroy them.  :icon_smile_wink:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

PocketThunder

Quote from: Magnumcharger on March 24, 2010, 09:43:07 PM

No, we all wish we could go back to college, it was the best time of our life!!!!!!!!!!!   :2thumbs:

But now you'll be the old non-traditional guy in the front row that gets an A in every class instead of the 18-22 year old in the back wondering which party to go to first.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

694spdRT

Quote from: Dans 68 on March 25, 2010, 12:41:12 PM
Yep, another Mechanical Engineer here.  :2thumbs:  Almost all sound advice and opinions above. As presented it sounds like a no-brainer. Have a great time!  ;D

Quote from: 694spdRT on March 25, 2010, 11:09:16 AM
I have a Civil Engineering degree and had a few close friends that went for the Mechanical degree....

When I was in school I found out the big difference between the Civils and the Mechanicals...Civils build targets, while Mechanicals destroy them.  :icon_smile_wink:

Dan

Job security both ways.   :icon_smile_big:
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi