News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can you jack up the engine from the tranny bell housing?

Started by russg, March 27, 2010, 09:56:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

russg

Just need to move engine enough to remove the oil pan, don't have a hoist and wondering where I can place a jack from below to raise a couple inches.  Bottom of bell housing ok?
73 Charger SE, 383, Headman headers, Holley 670 SA, Flowmaster Super 44's

TylerCharger69

I wouldn't recommend it....nor the oil pan either....The casting on the bellhousing may crack or break....And of course...the pan...probably crush it....they arent very thick.  I use a cherry picker engine lift.

terrible one

Agreed. I don't think you would get very far anyways before the tranny mount stopped giving slack or the trans is bottomed out in the tunnel. You should be able to find a place that will rent you a hoist for a few hours or the day. Not sure if it's from a Jack, but there is a spot on the bellhousi g of my727 where pressure was applied and it just punched a hole in it. Not a good support point forsure.

russg

Thanks for replies,  I read a number of people that use a large peice of wood on top of the jack to spread out the pressure on the oil pan a bit and make it work (mines not that pretty either).  I'll look into the cherry picker

firefighter3931

Fwiw, i've used a  2x8 plank on the oilpan to jack up the engine many times without incident. Loosen off the trans mount, pull the motor mount bolts...... and drop a piece of wood between the motor mount and K-frame once the motor is elevated. Once the trans hits the top of the tunnel stop jacking or you will hurt the oilpan.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

resq302

Ive been able to remove my oil pan on my 383 a couple times to replace the gasket when it started to leak.  All I had to do was undo the steering linkage and swing it out of the way.  Maybe you have a different crank or something than what I do.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

russg

Do I need to just loosen the front bolts or remove them completely? It kind of looks like there is openings at the top of the mounts that the bolts would slide up and out.  I have the nuts off and trying to raise the engine but the whole front end is moving right with the motor and I can't get the bolts to slide out.  I suppose the suspension might move up a bit before the engine lifts off?  Just don't want to put too much pressure on the pan

TylerCharger69