News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New DB Electric Mini starter.. Is this right?

Started by grdprx, March 27, 2010, 11:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grdprx

So, I just got a new DB Electric mini starter per everyone's suggestion.  It won't fit!   :brickwall:  :brickwall:

The black part where the power hooks up is where it's rubbing against the block.

What's up?  Did they change something, or am I just full of it?

sparkybr74mr

Is it the 17181? Thats what I have on my list to order in the next few days. If they changed something in the design it's good to know.

firefighter3931

You can remove the black plastic housing and use the connections inside for better clearance. That's what most of us do when installing that mini starter.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

grdprx

Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 27, 2010, 01:10:00 PM
You can remove the black plastic housing and use the connections inside for better clearance. That's what most of us do when installing that mini starter.  ;)

Ron

I see the light!  Thanks Ron!   :cheers:

I knew this was necessary if I'd gotten a Ram starter, but whatever works, right?

I have the 17084 starter.

grdprx

What a pain in the butt!  The screw terminal from the positive battery is millimeters from the block!  I has to loosen the starter just to get the nut off.  And getting the battery wire on there was a pain in the butt also.  Is it going to be an issue being that close to the block?

grdprx

So, here's a pic; it's really close to the block...  Is that normal with this starters?

flyinlow

Cooter

Usually the FIRST thing that is done with these type starters on my own cars, is to screw the nut down onto the stud, then cut off the extra sticking up for added clearance...I guess it could be a PITA if you've never installed one before...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

grdprx

firefighter3931

Quote from: grdprx on March 27, 2010, 03:48:55 PM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 27, 2010, 01:10:00 PM

Ron

I see the light!  Thanks Ron!   :cheers:

I knew this was necessary if I'd gotten a Ram starter, but whatever works, right?

I have the 17084 starter.

Glad to see you got it installed.....you'll luv that starter. No more slow cranking ! I've seen the DB starter turn over 14:1 compression race  engines like nothing....it is a premium quality unit.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs