News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where do I get a cooling fan delay relay?

Started by mauibarber, March 14, 2010, 05:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mauibarber

Currently when I restart my Charger after it warms up the dual electric cooling fans come on as I am turning the key.  I would love to have a 10-15 second or so delayed relay on my fans so they don't start until after I have started the car.  I also think they are both coming on at the same time and it would be nice if one came on and then the other.  Can anybody direct me to a product or fix?

Thanks!

A383Wing

Is this a stock electric cooling fan system?

mauibarber

I think so.  The previous owner put it in to manufacturers specifications.  It works fine I just don't want it to start up immediately while I am trying to start the car.

FLG

Why not put a termal switch on it?

Summit and Jegs sell em. Some are adjustable some are not, but you basically either buy the one for the temp you want or just set the adjustable ones to come on where you set them up to.

Mine come on at 195 and off at 180.

mauibarber

Mine come on at those temps too but the problem is I don't want them running before I start the car.  If I go to start the car 30-60 minutes after it gets hot its still hot enough to trigger the fans to run while I am starting the car.  Does your car do that too?

FLG

Yes it does.

What fan setup or thermal switch do you have??

Im thinking if you wire up a switch between the termal probe and the relay(s) for the fans you could have it as a on/off switch. When switched off the fans should get no reading form the probe and thus not turn on.  :2thumbs:

gtx6970

use a circuit that only has power in the run position and none in the start position of the ignition switch

Bobs69

This is a upgraded feature my neighbour had sent to him from Griffin rad (I'm going to have to find out why I didn't get one).  I guess the idea is to make sure the starter motor gets all the juice it can.  Is that why you want them delayed?

six-tee-nine

How about this?

http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcatalog/largeview.php?SearchField=30140&SearchAll=Classic%20Cars

Haven't really shopped around yet so I don't know if their are other alternatives, but this kit seems pretty complete.....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

FLG

Quote from: gtx6970 on March 15, 2010, 10:27:31 AM
use a circuit that only has power in the run position and none in the start position of the ignition switch

Could do that as well.

I thought you didn't want them to turn on when you shut off the car, didn't realize they were on while you were cranking. The circuit I used only has power in the run position so they turn off while I'm cranking.

John_Kunkel

You could also power the fans through a normally closed relay that opens the contacts when the starter is energized; just be sure the relay is rated for the load of the running fans.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.