News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

318 owners

Started by dukeboy320, April 13, 2009, 10:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Wilson

Quote from: SuperCharger on April 14, 2009, 06:09:48 PM
Quote from: Todd Wilson on April 14, 2009, 11:18:51 AM
Quote from: SuperCharger on April 13, 2009, 08:48:21 PM
Quote from: chargerkid01 on April 13, 2009, 08:25:04 PM
Best motor ever!!!!!
Next to the cummins yes it is.  small blocks in general are pretty good motors but the big thing to remember with the torque is the more air you get in a motor the more power it makes which is why the diesel in my 92 ram makes a ton more torque then the small block of same cubic inches in my 98(5.9L cummins vs 5.9L LA Magnum straight 6 vs V8) bigger air capacity=higher torque.

I think we are talking about Mopar engines here. The Cummins is not a mopar engine.

The main reason why your Cummins has more torque is the design of the engine and crankshaft.  Your 92 Cummins engine stock has zilch for horsepower. Probably less then a 318. You are trying to compare apples to oranges here.

Todd

I don't think 200 hp is zilch.

A stock 1992 Cummins ram dont have 200hp though.

Todd

Todd Wilson

Quote from: SuperCharger on April 14, 2009, 07:14:57 PM
Quote from: Foreman72 on April 14, 2009, 06:10:38 PM
Quote from: SuperCharger on April 14, 2009, 06:09:48 PM
Quote from: Todd Wilson on April 14, 2009, 11:18:51 AM
Quote from: SuperCharger on April 13, 2009, 08:48:21 PM
Quote from: chargerkid01 on April 13, 2009, 08:25:04 PM
Best motor ever!!!!!
Next to the cummins yes it is.  small blocks in general are pretty good motors but the big thing to remember with the torque is the more air you get in a motor the more power it makes which is why the diesel in my 92 ram makes a ton more torque then the small block of same cubic inches in my 98(5.9L cummins vs 5.9L LA Magnum straight 6 vs V8) bigger air capacity=higher torque.

I think we are talking about Mopar engines here. The Cummins is not a mopar engine.

The main reason why your Cummins has more torque is the design of the engine and crankshaft.  Your 92 Cummins engine stock has zilch for horsepower. Probably less then a 318. You are trying to compare apples to oranges here.

Todd

I don't think 200 hp is zilch.

heck no but its gotta move alot u kno...
torque moves soemthing off the line. and 400 lb ft. stock is nothing to sneeze at

It takes tork to pull and HP to go fast.    Getting something off the line quickly isnt all about tork.

Todd

71ChallengeHer

Quote from: resq302 on April 14, 2009, 04:42:52 PM
I know the 318 in our chally sure makes the rear break loose.  Of course its worked over a little but it sure can move the light weight e body.   :2thumbs:
I have a 318 in my Chally. Ask, Brian. It sounds pretty healthy.  :D

resq302

Healthy?  Maybe like a giant on steroids!  Jackie, that is one mean green machine!  Makes my charger sound like a baby with its stock engine and exhaust.   :smilielol:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

chargerkid01

Ok I said it once and I will say it again 318 are the best motor ever!!! Cummins are in their own class but I would prefer a 318 any day!!! When someone puts a cummins in a charger (i make myself laugh :smilielol:) then I will change this statement, until them 318 all the way!!!

Brock Samson

:scratchchin: i thought this thread was about 318s..  :shruggy:

scatpack69

I love my 318. all stock too.

Rolling_Thunder

Just don't get a Poly - there is no real aftermarket support   :rofl:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

ChargerSG

Have a 318 in my 70 Charger 500, i love it, perfect for long trips :yesnod:
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

MoParJW

My car still has the stock 318 with all the stock internals except for the timing chain
It runs a little rough on cold startup, but when it's warmed up it runs very smooth  :coolgleamA:

I would say it's a reliable engine, I use the car to drive to work daily, and made some long (1500+ mile) road trips with it, had no problems with it yet

power is ok, it's still faster at the traffic lights than a lot of plain jane european cars
'68 Plymouth Satellite sedan 318

SuperCharger

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on April 16, 2009, 01:12:13 PM
Just don't get a Poly - there is no real aftermarket support   :rofl:
throw a set of the classic hemi heads on and It'd be kinda cool.

71ChallengeHer

Here's a 318 that can run  :D This motor use to be in my friend's Duster. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcsAixn95Ag

C_stripes

I wish my 340 Duster had a 318.

Not really. But I have had a ton of fun with 318's. I had one in a 72 duster that was going to be parted out. We wanted to grenade it. We put a rock on the throttle and backed up. It was at full throttle for a wile with anti freeze spraying everywhere and it wasn't sounding to good and then ..... it ran out of gas.  We were very disappointed.  We put some fuel back in it and drove it around a little longer. I couldn't kill it. If you get a 67-71, it had 230 HP with a 2bbl. A 73 340 is rated at 245. So with not allot of work, I would say you can make some decent power and still have a good engine.    :Twocents:

Also, I had a 92 Dodge ram with a 5.2 (318) magnum. I never did anything to it except abuse the hell out of it. I sold it with 250K miles on it and it ran great. I bought it from the orig owner who told me he never had any problems at all. I miss that truck bad. It had a 5spd too.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Abuse:  ;)
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

69ChargersRule

My 318 runs great.I wouldnt throw one away ever. :2thumbs:

flyinlow

Is a 318 a good engine.?  Yes.   Does size matter ?  Yes..... No replacement for displacment.

percentage of time driving ,having a 440 instead of a 318 makes a differrence , about 1 .   But like many things in life that take time,effort and money, that 1 percent make it all worthwhile.

71green go

My Love for chargers came from my buddy MArk in Highschool.....his DAd bought a used 68 charger 318, he was a mechanic....he had that car running great...Mark and I used to wait till his dad a couple of Brown Pops on a Friday night and take the car...we had no liscense...yeah stupid but imes were different...
We'd cruise all night pick up girls, booze etc...what a blast...we did that for two years before we got got....his DAd wasnt even that mad ...he just made sure the keys were hidden....a year later he gave MArk the car...then the real fun started...I loved that car...didnt have a sure grip, so one wheel burnouts were fairly easy...
I would by another like it in a heartbeat!.......Of course I would never get rid of my 71 440 R/T....gotta love a big block

But yeah 318's Rock.........I remember a classic line....A couple of Chinese guys pulled up against us at a light in some foreign car..they reved their engine...Thats alls MArk needed....MArk had his Foot in The gas and one on the brake...light turned Green andI think the squeel of the tire scared the crap out of them...I remember looking back at them as they were trying to catch up.......When they pulled up again at the next light, the driver rolled down the window and in a very strong accent yelled..."Wow that is a really fast American car"....at the time it was priceless

I will someday own another...one to honor a great Car and 2nd to Remember my good Freind MArk who died during a diving accident......he would love to see me in one!

magnumminded

As for 318s they are not powerhouses but, for my needs they do just fine. I have a 68 Dodge Coronet 440 2dr with manual steering and brakes. Base of the mill car. It has a 318 with a 904 transmission and 2.76 gears 8 3/4 open rear axle. The previous owner ran it at Great Lakes Dragway. Ran 15.2 @ 92 mph. The only things that have been done is Edelbrock 600 carb, Weiand Intake, Summit Headers with exhaust and the smallest Summit Cam and double roller timing chain. I usually get 20+ mpg on the highway running 70 mph and it still has plenty left. Not quick but, not slow either.

mjwebb

and you can pick one up for a lot cheaper than the big blocks, if you can find one...

Cooter

There's an article in This months Mopar Muscle mag. where they "Built" a 318 LA motor with a super charger that put out 667 HP and well over 600 Ft. LBS of torque...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

mopar0166

anyone put different gearing in for better results from the 318?

Foreman72

i'm planning on 3.55s....but i haven't driven it yet so i can't state results... :shruggy:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

THE STIG

I had a 318 in my 70 Duster many years ago. The rear main seal was bad so it dumped alot of oil, so much in fact that I never had to changed oil about every 3-4 weeks it would all leak out. One time I started it up and could hear the valves ticking so I poped the hood and dumped in 4 quarts the ticking went away and the engine ran fine. So are they reliable?, I think I say yes. Best engine ever? Yeah possibly. Cummins? Diesel is the fuel of Satan!!! As for power, they don't have a lot of HP in stock form but they do have potiential. The cubes are more than the 5.0 that was so common in the fox bod Crustang and the stroke is longer than the LS1. Here see for yourself http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0810phr_chrysler_318_engine/assembly.html

1BAD68

Quote from: mopar0166 on March 15, 2010, 10:50:27 AM
anyone put different gearing in for better results from the 318?

I had 2:73's in my Charger and then installed a clutch type sure grip with 3:55's and it was a night and day difference.
Not saying it was a tire burner but it really woke it up.
I stroked mine since then and am really happy with it.
The 318 has tons of potential, great little engine.

rp23g7

My dad had a 68 Dodge A108 he bought brand new, with a 318.  It  want all over, Washington to Texas 2 or three times, until 73 when we bought a Winnebago with a 360.  It was his daily driver till he got a brand new LXi in 95.

First engine went 230,000 miles, barely had any compression, but it didnt smoke or anything.  The rebuild went another 100,000 and he had the transmission done with it.  He sold it, unbelievably, in 2001, still running,

I dont ever remember anything ever breaking on it, just regular maintenance.  I would grab a 318 in a heartbeat if i found a car with one.

Purple68

My Charger had a 318 when I got it, was it a good motor? Sure it was reliable and I could lay some rubber going around corners but it just didn't have the torque to really move a 4000 lb car. I raced a Z28 with a 350 in high school and I'll never forget how bad he beat me.  :'( Guess that's why I now have a stroked 440. :icon_smile_big: