News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

GMC TYPHOON question

Started by police1, March 05, 2010, 07:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

police1

does anyone here know anything about the gmc typhoon? i have a chance to buy one but need to know what to look for to make sure it's real and not cloned. thanks guys for any help! :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

1RareBird

I have one in my garage right now.  Just painting it for a buddy though.  I would look in the drivers door jam, there will be a sticker that has the words "MFG by PAS" in the upper left hand corner.  Also, on the core support at the top, there should be 2 more stickers.  The larger one will say "pas" on it and it will denote engine size along with the word "syclone" under it.  Other than that I'm not really sure.  Hope this helps.
When I die I want to go like my Grandfather did, quietly in his sleep.  Not screaming like the passengers in his car.

greenpigs

The turbo V6 is a good start, plus the VIN number.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

warmpancakes

Quote from: police1 on March 05, 2010, 07:59:04 AM
does anyone here know anything about the gmc typhoon? i have a chance to buy one but need to know what to look for to make sure it's real and not cloned. thanks guys for any help! :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

irarebird told me to pop in and help here Im the owner of the typhoon in his garage , and a syclone, anyways  there was no official order of typhoon production, the "accepted" production number is the last 4 of the VIN,  there is no way to know the actually production number with out the build documents from PAS,   The VIN is typgoon specific, also there are a few other things that will tell you like mentioned above, the fuse box is Ty specific, theres a door Jam label below the striker that has the VIN production date and PAS on it.   What year ?   color and last 4 of VIn there is a very very loyal community for these trucks and its very hard to fake one as most of the trucks the history is known.  www.syty.net is the home for these trucks  and www.sportmachines.com is the historical site  Ill pm my phone number over if you have any questions

472 R/T SE

The last time I seen one of those I was watching it in my rear view mirror as it was darting in & out of traffic trying to get up beside me.  I always heard they were quick.  :shruggy:

warmpancakes

from a roll, a geo metro will walk away from light to light  different story   for a production vehicle they were impressive 0-60 in 4.6 seconds in the rain  typhoon did it in about 5.0 sec

jb666

I owned a Typhoon back in 1994... Not much to look at, by today's standards, but WOW was it a quick little machine... Talk about a priceless... Stomping a mudhole in a brand new Mustang GT in something that looks like a "normal" little SUV!!

HITMAN 149

a guy right down the road from me has one is his side yard just sitting there???
yea they were quick lil buggers back then!!! lol
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

A383Wing

parts that are specific for these vehicles are very hard to find...we had one in our shop a few years back...could not find anything for it.

warmpancakes

Quote from: A383Wing on March 07, 2010, 05:31:20 PM
parts that are specific for these vehicles are very hard to find...we had one in our shop a few years back...could not find anything for it.

the cladding is impossible thats why some of us owners hoard it 

warmpancakes

Quote from: HITMAN 149 on March 07, 2010, 03:18:12 PM
a guy right down the road from me has one is his side yard just sitting there???
yea they were quick lil buggers back then!!! lol

where?   Id be interested they seem to follow me home

HITMAN 149

hey pancakes!!  (love the screen name!!! lmfao)
im in central new jersey... monmouth county...
i have no idea if he's lookin to sell or not?!?!? it's just on the side of his house.. NO for sale sign that i saw?!?!
it's a dark color... black?? looks kinda dull... prob from just sittin there.. w/ no cover on either!!!  :rotz:
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

warmpancakes

Quote from: HITMAN 149 on March 07, 2010, 07:45:08 PM
hey pancakes!!  (love the screen name!!! lmfao)
im in central new jersey... monmouth county...
i have no idea if he's lookin to sell or not?!?!? it's just on the side of his house.. NO for sale sign that i saw?!?!
it's a dark color... black?? looks kinda dull... prob from just sittin there.. w/ no cover on either!!!  :rotz:

hmmm   address I have fellow owners in that area wait cancel that I dont need another (notice I didnt say want)

HITMAN 149

hahahaha yea i don't NEEEEED any of the other 50 cars i WANT either!!!! lmao
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

police1

first off guys you can never have enough cars!!   i did go and look at it and it is a typhoon according to the vin tag. it is a red one. super clean but has been repainted. i would call it a 6 out of a 10. would need repainted to be show but the rest is mint! what do you guys  think it is worth? please no comments on it being a GM product. lol).. :shruggy:

Brock Samson

I saw a brother rolling one last week - it seemed bone stock except for the window tint and bumping tunes,.. I thought it was a cool way to go,.. might be nice to see one in a different color... was black all they came in?..  :shruggy:
in the latest car and driver it was noted that upon their Intro. they were dissed as being "an answer to a question no one asked" and were expected to grenade quickly... Some time them guys are too full of themselves after driving all them fancy German cars they hand them the keys to.

warmpancakes

Quote from: police1 on March 08, 2010, 04:50:11 PM
first off guys you can never have enough cars!!   i did go and look at it and it is a typhoon according to the vin tag. it is a red one. super clean but has been repainted. i would call it a 6 out of a 10. would need repainted to be show but the rest is mint! what do you guys  think it is worth? please no comments on it being a GM product. lol).. :shruggy:

92 or 93?

there were paint issues with them from new so repaints are common,  you said under 40k miles  , any mods or is it stock?   
things to check
rims the stock ones bend easy
idle they all idle rough get used to it
valve seals go bad easy fix

last 4 of vin?   I can probably find all the old owners or see if any local guy has looked at it