News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Water pump housings

Started by Headrope, December 08, 2005, 10:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Headrope

I've got a perfectly good waterpump housing on a 400 truck motor I ran across. Problem is I'm going to put it into a car.

Looking towards the rear of the engine from the front: the water pump outlet hose on truck motors routes to the passenger side of the radiator; the pump housing outlet hose on the car motor routes to the driver's side of the radiator.

Instead of swapping waterpump housings, couldn't I get one of those adjustable hoses, put a spring inside it (so it doesn't collapse) and route it where it needs to go? Has anyone done this?
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

firefighter3931

Just get a driver side outlet....they're a dime a dozen.  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chryco Psycho

Headrope

Yes, but then I have yet another motor part just sitting around and taking up space.
Any reason to think it wouldn't work?

cudaken

Use the right housing Head rope. You are just looking for problems now. ;) Don't need the newer water pump throw or give it away.

Ken
I am back

Headrope

I'm not looking for problems. I'm looking for a solution.
It really looks like we're only talking about the shape of a hose. If so, and I find the right hose, folks putting truck motors into cars might be able to save a few coins on waterpump housings by using what they already paid for.
Car blocks aren't by any means gone. But there have been three generations of engine rebuilders since the heydays of our cars. The wrecking yards around here are well picked over. Truck motors could be the next "big" thing.
Thanks for the help.

cudaken

Head Rope, the lower hose will have to be 2 feet long if not longer. Here is the proper way of using the new water pump. Have the lower water neck move to the other side of the radiator! I am not kidding, I had a radiator shop some time ago and we use do it for people. Normlay for GM people, but off the top of my head see no reason it could not be done on a Mopar.

Ken
I am back

firefighter3931

Quote from: Headrope on December 10, 2005, 12:16:00 PM
I'm not looking for problems. I'm looking for a solution.
It really looks like we're only talking about the shape of a hose. If so, and I find the right hose, folks putting truck motors into cars might be able to save a few coins on waterpump housings by using what they already paid for.
Car blocks aren't by any means gone. But there have been three generations of engine rebuilders since the heydays of our cars. The wrecking yards around here are well picked over. Truck motors could be the next "big" thing.
Thanks for the help.

Actually, the solution is easy....swap out the rad for a passenger side lower hose inlet if you're intent on running the truck waterpump housing. You can buy a used waterpump housing at any swap meet for $10.00. It'll cost less than the 2ft rubber hose you'll need to ghetto rig this thing up.  :brickwall: Think about it !  ;D

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

cudaken

Ron, he could use the one from the 383 but he wants to do it the hard way. Does not want a extra laying around. I have 3 of them right now. He could have one for shipping cost only, BUT NOOOOO. He must like problems, like lower hose rubbing the blancers and belt drive.

Next he will wand to weild up the truck pan so it fits ;D

Ken
I am back

Headrope

Actually ... I was going to ask next if I could turn down the crank pulley on a lathe like brake drums. The 400 had air conditioning, and the extra "groove" in the pulley leaves too little space between it and the radiator for me to be comfortable with.

Come on, folks. I was just asking a question about the waterpump housing (and I'm joking about the lathe/pulley thing, btw). I'm ultimately trying to preserve my happy marriage by wanting to use the parts I already have. My Charger has been on my wife's side of the garage for three months longer than it was allowed to be.   Twice now I've been in the process of moving to my side when I've run across incredible deals like a running 400, pulled and delivered for $300.

The rest of the story on the 383 waterpump housing is that it is painted heavily with a funky orange color to match the 383. To use it on the 400 I'd have to blast it and I don't have a bead or sand blaster. If I ever wanted to put it back onto the 383 I'd be unable to because I no longer have the paint recipe for the orange.

Ken, how much would shipping be to 98405 (Tacoma, WA)?

cudaken

More than likely the cost to have the water pump blasted by a local machine shop. ;D  I had set of hood hindges done for $15.00.

Ken
I am back