News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cam in a stock 400

Started by Bob, March 01, 2010, 09:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob

This is the cam I installed in my 400 4v motor. Not really happy with it and it's been about 2 years now. Is this a bad combination for a pure stock 1974 400?
Make: Lunati
Lift at valve: in .480  ex.480
Duration: in 230 deg
            ex 230
What should I expect out of this cam in a stock engine? Rpm's? Is this a low end, mid range or high end cam?

Thanks
Bob

Challenger340

What did you Install the Centreline at ?

Did you degree the Cam or just "line up the dots" ??

You would not believe how many supposedly "Performance Double Roller" T/Chain & Gearsets I've personally witnessed, that are off by 4 or more Degrees !

Engine "lazy", even @ rpm ?

230 is a bit much for those years stock 400's.
The Compression Ratio is too low, especially with Composition Head gaskets.
But,
if the Cam is "In" up around 105 or 106 ATDC, it should still come alive "ok" around 3K ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

RD

i put a 284/484 cam in a smogger 400 just because it was all that I had at the time and wanted something with a lope.. I had 3.55 gears and she started pulling hard at about 2800-3000 and kept it up to about 5500, but starting falling there.  Lack of compression is what killed it.  It sounded nice though.  If you are going for auditory awareness ( :D ) then go for it.. if you want performance.. get some better pistons or some closed chambered heads on there to make the cam more befitting.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: RD on March 01, 2010, 10:30:37 PM
if you want performance.. get some better pistons or some closed chambered heads on there to make the cam more befitting.

like the 280/474 and KB240s with some port and mill job on heads ? LOL
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Bob

Quote from: Challenger340 on March 01, 2010, 06:51:39 PM
What did you Install the Centreline at ?

Did you degree the Cam or just "line up the dots" ??

You would not believe how many supposedly "Performance Double Roller" T/Chain & Gearsets I've personally witnessed, that are off by 4 or more Degrees !

Engine "lazy", even @ rpm ?

230 is a bit much for those years stock 400's.
The Compression Ratio is too low, especially with Composition Head gaskets.
But,
if the Cam is "In" up around 105 or 106 ATDC, it should still come alive "ok" around 3K ?

I just lined up the dots. Not knowing the performance issues, I told the parts store I wanted a replacement cam. I know it's been 2 years since the swap but this lazy engine is bugging me. I really don't want to get down to piston replacement and milling and all the performance stuff. I would just like a cam that would would pick it up at the low end.

Bob

i put a 284/484 cam in a smogger 400 just because it was all that I had at the time and wanted something with a lope.. I had 3.55 gears and she started pulling hard at about 2800-3000 and kept it up to about 5500, but starting falling there.  Lack of compression is what killed it.  It sounded nice though.  If you are going for auditory awareness ( :D ) then go for it.. if you want performance.. get some better pistons or some closed chambered heads on there to make the cam more befitting.

Exactly, she starts pulling hard at about 2800-3000. I would really rather have it at the low end. I'm not shy about tearing it down again to replace the cam. I guess my next question would be what is a good cam for these stock 400's? The reason I changed it in the beginning was because I wiped a lobe completely off.

Bob

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on March 01, 2010, 11:03:15 PM
if you want performance.. get some better pistons or some closed chambered heads on there to make the cam more befitting.

like the 280/474 and KB240s with some port and mill job on heads ? LOL
When you finally get over here and marry Tom's sister you can help with that. :nana:

firefighter3931

Bob,

The problem with bone stock 400 engines is the low static compression (7.8-8.0 compression). The Lunati cam you currently have installed is better suited to a 10:1 motor. What you need to increase torque & throttle response is a cam with an earlier intake valve closing point. This will trap more air in the chamber and build cylinder pressure.  :yesnod:

This one would be my choice for your application :

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-CL21-221-4/

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Bob

Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 02, 2010, 09:00:53 AM
Bob,

The problem with bone stock 400 engines is the low static compression (7.8-8.0 compression). The Lunati cam you currently have installed is better suited to a 10:1 motor. What you need to increase torque & throttle response is a cam with an earlier intake valve closing point. This will trap more air in the chamber and build cylinder pressure.  :yesnod:

This one would be my choice for your application :

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-CL21-221-4/

Ron

Done deal.
Thank you Ron. I was hopeing you would see this string.
Bob

firefighter3931

You're welcome Bob  :icon_smile_big:

Once the cam is installed bump the timing up to 16* at idle and check the total timing to make sure it's where it should be. Ideally, you want 36-38 all in by 2800-3000 rpm for best performance.  :yesnod:

That should make the Beast a LOT snappier off idle.  :naughty: :drive:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Bob

Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 02, 2010, 12:08:30 PM
You're welcome Bob  :icon_smile_big:

Once the cam is installed bump the timing up to 16* at idle and check the total timing to make sure it's where it should be. Ideally, you want 36-38 all in by 2800-3000 rpm for best performance.  :yesnod:

That should make the Beast a LOT snappier off idle.  :naughty: :drive:

Ron

Wished you my neighbor. Maybe you could do a world tour :vert:. I'm sure there is are enough takers just on this site alone.  :notworthy:

Purple440

Bob - that's the cam I have in my 440...lunati bracket master II, 109lsa, ect...didn't degree mine in either.  I've bumped my C/R to at least 9.5 and it comes in around 2500rpm as advertised, but I've always felt it was lazy.  Had to install a 2600-2800 stall to get it to wake up.  Not happy with it. 

Good luck with your new cam  :cheers: