News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

PT Cruiser trouble code ?

Started by Highbanked Hauler, February 18, 2010, 03:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

The wife's 03 PT cruiser tripped a check engine code the other day. Is there any to read the code without taking it in for service? :icon_smile_angry:  Thanks
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

RCKSTR

If you have an OBDII code reader, yes, just plug it in. You can take it to a place like auto zone and they will typically read the codes for free for a small charge.

BigBlackDodge

Does turning the ingnition on and off three times (ending in the on position) still work for the '03's. They used to show the codes on the odometer.

BBD

A383Wing

We have an '03...only one time did the check engine light ever come on...was a camshaft sensor failure....dealer replaced it free

Highbanked Hauler

Thanks gang, if the problem is emissions  related isn't it under warranty  till 100K? This car has 73K. I used to be a body man and painter so any mechanical problems went to the service department but now I get to deal with it.  At present it hasn't effected performance or driveability.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

ChgrSteve67

My PT only had a 36K warenty.

If there is a exception for emissions I'm not aware of it.

Ask your local dealer.

nh_mopar_fan

8 years / 80K miles on emissions components.

http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt

PERFORMANCE WARRANTY

The Performance Warranty covers repairs which are required during
the first 2 years or 24,000 miles of vehicle use because the vehicle
failed an emission test.  Specified major emission control components
are covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles.  If you are a
resident of an area with an Inspection and Maintenance (I/M) program
that meets federal guidelines, you are eligible for this warranty
protection provided that:

* Your car or light-duty truck fails an approved emissions test;
      and

* Your vehicle is less than 2 years old and has less than 24,000
      miles (up to 8 years/80,000 miles for certain components); and

* Your state or local government requires that you repair the
      vehicle; and

* The test failure does not result from misuse of the vehicle or a
      failure to follow the manufacturers' written maintenance
      instructions; and

* You present the vehicle to a warranty-authorized manufacturer
      representative, along with evidence of the emission test failure,
      during the warranty period.

During the first 2 years/24,000 miles, the Performance Warranty
covers any repair or adjustment which is necessary to make your
vehicle pass an approved, locally-required emission test and as long
as your vehicle has not exceeded the warranty time or mileage
limitations and has been properly maintained according to the
manufacturer's specifications.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on February 19, 2010, 09:38:58 AM

Ask your local dealer.
That's very possible,when I was working for a GM dealer back in the late 80S it seems like I heard that emissions equipment was covered for 100K but that could be false. I did the ignition  3 times on and got a 0441 code which is  ( evaporative purge flow system not working properly ) any ideas what that is as I don't :shruggy:
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

66chargerkid

The key trick still works on the 01's so I would think you could do it on the 03. Then you can look the code up on google. Just fixed my g'mas cam sensor.
Q

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on February 19, 2010, 12:08:32 PM
Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on February 19, 2010, 09:38:58 AM

Ask your local dealer.
That's very possible,when I was working for a GM dealer back in the late 80S it seems like I heard that emissions equipment was covered for 100K but that could be false. I did the ignition  3 times on and got a 0441 code which is  ( evaporative purge flow system not working properly ) any ideas what that is as I don't :shruggy:

This might help

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0441

BBD

Highbanked Hauler

Hey Big Black Dodge, thanks man!!! it gives me a direction to head in :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

A383Wing

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on February 20, 2010, 11:13:58 PM
 Hey Big Black Dodge, thanks man!!! it gives me a direction to head in :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

What was the code?

Never mind....I saw it....sorry

I hate evap codes....they are the worst in my opinion

Tilar

With that code I'd make sure the gas cap is on tight. Easy to check and it will make the light come on with these new cars.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

A383Wing

Quote from: Tilar on February 21, 2010, 08:32:30 AM
With that code I'd make sure the gas cap is on tight. Easy to check and it will make the light come on with these new cars.

Maybe, but I doubt it...gas cap would set evap small or large leak code, P0442 to P0445 or around there, his says evap purge flow system not working properly, which to me would mean the solenoid or flow sensor may have an issue or a wire is bad

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: A383Wing on February 21, 2010, 11:13:46 AM
Quote from: Tilar on February 21, 2010, 08:32:30 AM

Maybe, but I doubt it...gas cap would set evap small or large leak code, P0442 to P0445 or around there, his says evap purge flow system not working properly, which to me would mean the solenoid or flow sensor may have an issue or a wire is bad

The funny Thing was I stopped to get gas and when I left the light came on so I pulled over in the parking lot took the cap off and tightend it again but the light was still on. To eliminate the stupid factor  :brickwall: I am going to try disconnecting the battery to see if that deletes the code.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Tilar

I'm not sure if disconnecting the battery will clear the codes. From what I understand, which is very little when it comes to new cars, but sometimes the computer will hold trouble codes and you have to clear them with a scanner.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

A383Wing

yea...whut he said above...scanner will be the only way to clear code. Computer will wipe code out of memory if it does not see that fault in 50 starts.