News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

66 Charger Project

Started by Steelshanks, October 16, 2009, 11:57:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelshanks

Hello all!

I have a lovely 66 Charger with a 383 in it. I'm out in California where the weather is beautiful and Mopar parts cost 5x's as much as back east.

:RantExplode:

I'm currently rebuilding my Charger which I've owned for 10 years. I've finally stumbled upon other enthusiests and found the motivation to tear into this baby and start fixing her up. My only resource for a while was my Year One catalog and that place can get a bit pricy.

I'm in the middle of removing everything from the vehicle so I can send it to a media blaster. I've got the engine out in the garage which I've already stripped and repainted to go with the theme of the car. Here are a few pics:

There are stll a few bolts I need to paint. Had to let the paint cure before I could touch it up.

Confucius say: "Man who stand on toilet high on pot..."

My 1st Gen Resto Thread

moparstuart

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:   my son has a 66 and a ton of parts let me know what you need and i can ask him .

dude your avitar is a crack up
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Steelshanks

Quote from: moparstuart on October 16, 2009, 12:15:23 PM
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:   my son has a 66 and a ton of parts let me know what you need and i can ask him .

Will do, thanks for offer

:icon_smile_big:

My 1st Gen Resto Thread

skip68

:cheers: :2thumbs:    Welcome to the site.   Good looking start.   :2thumbs:     Motor looks sweeeeeeet.    :drool5:   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

69bronzeT5

Great start, good luck with the project! :cheers: Love your avatar by the way, especially the 'What did you say about my Charger!?" part :smilielol: :rofl: :lol:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Rolling_Thunder

Where in CA are you ?  Your car looks like one I used to see parked in front of a house on Moneta Ave. just north of 220th st. in Carson     
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Steelshanks

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on October 16, 2009, 12:59:25 PM
Where in CA are you ?  Your car looks like one I used to see parked in front of a house on Moneta Ave. just north of 220th st. in Carson     

Ya,that was me. My father lives on Moneta Ave. I grew up there and went to Carson High until 11th Grade (graduated n '99). Spent a year or so there saving up around '03-'04 and then got married and moved to Northern Cali near Sacramento to pursue my career.

I only ever saw one other Charger in that area, but then again I never really paid attention to any later year Chargers until recently. I was really glad to get it off that busy ass street and into a garage.

My 1st Gen Resto Thread

Big Sugar

Do I know you ? You seem vaugly familiar....?

Gonna paint that beast Black ?

Ron

[img]<table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" width="182" id="table1" height="202" bordercolorlight="#ECEBF1" bordercolordark="#E9DFD1" b

A383Wing

Hey Ben.....are ya done yet??  Huh? Huh?  :nana:

Bryan

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Steelshanks on October 16, 2009, 03:58:49 PM
Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on October 16, 2009, 12:59:25 PM

Ya,that was me. My father lives on Moneta Ave. I grew up there and went to Carson High until 11th Grade (graduated n '99). Spent a year or so there saving up around '03-'04 and then got married and moved to Northern Cali near Sacramento to pursue my career.

I only ever saw one other Charger in that area, but then again I never really paid attention to any later year Chargers until recently. I was really glad to get it off that busy ass street and into a garage.

Small world...    I stopped by and talked to your old man years ago - I was driving my 68 back from high school - must have been 6 or 7 years ago now...   I used to live 2 blocks from you -  Small world indeed    :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Steelshanks

Quote from: Big Sugar on October 16, 2009, 10:35:28 PM
Gonna paint that beast Black ?

Yup, and I'm planning on having some custom airbrushing done also. Gotta work it out with my pop, need him to draw up my ideas

Quote from: A383Wing on October 16, 2009, 10:38:54 PM
Hey Ben.....are ya done yet??  Huh? Huh?  :nana:

Bryan

:moon:

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on October 17, 2009, 03:00:48 AM
Small world...    I stopped by and talked to your old man years ago - I was driving my 68 back from high school - must have been 6 or 7 years ago now...   I used to live 2 blocks from you -  Small world indeed    :2thumbs:

Yup,  I love these cars for the recognition they get. If I had a chebby or Fuurd you never woulda made the connection.

My 1st Gen Resto Thread

Steelshanks

Wow, it has been a while since I posted any updates here. Figured I might as well share my recent progress with you folks. I started a thread a while back about Epoxy Powder Coating the car... well I went ahead and did it.  Here are some pics. Enjoy

Took everything off the chassis... man what a PITA!

Got my boss to tow me over to the media blaster / powder coat shop.

Had them Apply Epoxy Powder coat + Black Gloss Powder Coat

My 1st Gen Resto Thread

Steelshanks

My 1st Gen Resto Thread

jaak

Awesome! That looks great  :2thumbs:

Jason

vancamp

Sweet, how does painting over the powdercoat work? buddy of mine has a 66 he built just search EVIL EVA on youtube.

Steelshanks

Quote from: vancamp on July 28, 2010, 07:11:30 PM
Sweet, how does painting over the powdercoat work? buddy of mine has a 66 he built just search EVIL EVA on youtube.

Well the Grey portion is Epoxy Primer powder coat so from what I've been told (and read) the main difference between that and spray on epoxy Primer is the coverage you get and the cure time. I talked with the shop owner who applied it and he said most paint shops scuff it up a bit and its ready to go. Pretty sure he said scotch bright pads work great for prepping it.

I still have to figure out how I'm going to stiffen up the chassis. I just met a gentleman from Valley Springs who has a nice rotisserie. He might rent or loan it to me for a while. Going to talk with him this weekend about it some more. If anything just being able to flip the car over and blow it out will be awesome since everytime I touch it media comes outta the wood works.

My 1st Gen Resto Thread

Topher

Maybe you should do the rest of the body work and have them powder coat the body black. It sure looks nice-n-shiney in the pix!  :drool5:
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

Steelshanks

Quote from: Topher on July 30, 2010, 07:48:46 PM
Maybe you should do the rest of the body work and have them powder coat the body black. It sure looks nice-n-shiney in the pix!  :drool5:

:2thumbs:

If only the body was in good enough shape to powder coat the entire thing. Can't put it in the oven after body filler has been applied.

My 1st Gen Resto Thread