News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Am I the only one catching hell over the length of my Charger resto?

Started by bull, August 23, 2009, 07:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CB

restoring my Charger will take forever. I just want it to be safe, drivable and enjoyable.
Resto is a future plan.

Rebuilding the front end is already taking +2 months now... bye bye cruising season :'(
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

firefighter3931

Curtis....you're doing a great job !  :2thumbs: As has been stated....the only people that can fully understand the expense and time it takes to restore one of these beasts is someone who has done it themselves.  :yesnod:

Mine took several years with lots of setbacks....but i used the pay as you go philosophy rather than bury myself in debt. Build the car on your timetable and nobody elses.  ;)

Keep at it and don't get discouraged.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Blown70

Well if you have unlimited funds that is a different story and how correct you like things to be.  I am one who was side tracked by several things, to me having a heater for my house was more important two years ago than a motor.

So, as time an money come, things are purchased and money saved for those select projects on the car that I will not be doing myself.

I think your doing the right thing, keep it up

Tom

motorcitydak

Im planning on at least 3 years for mine. It doesnt help that I have not been able to touch it in 3 weeks
96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

HeavyFuel

Got my car in 1991, put a total of about 200 miles on it in 17 years.

I know a lot of people that are into cars......I'm catching tons of crap for not having the car done yet.  It has been at just the body shop for over 3 years alone.

But I have gotten married, bought two houses, raised (almost) 3 kids, and established a career in the time I've had the car. 

So everyone that gives be the business can just kiss my ass, and when I die, my wife can bury me with the fender tag and broadcast sheet.

NorwayCharger

I can work on a charger for ever, no problem...
Problem is all the nagging and people asking me the SAME questions and telling me the SAME jokes.
Over and over again :brickwall:
People do not understand how i can work on cars for a living, and then work on my own car in my freetime.
Trying to tell them that for me it is like therapy working on my Charger..
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

Road Dog

Atleast ya'll are restoring them. Mine hasn't sat still more than 2 weeks since I've owned it. Guess that's why it has 400,000 miles. I would love to pull it all apart and restore it all. Maybe a new trunk pan this fall?
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

elacruze

Mine sat so long that nobody thought I'd ever do anything with it, but they knew it was worth more $ every day and it wasn't in the weather.
The only one who consistently asked about it was my S/O, who I've been on/off with since about 1984. We've been together now for 7 years and she manages the restoration business while I'm overseas paying for it. If not for her, I'd likely be pulling it from storage and driving it like it was again.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

The70RT

After yesterday I really want to get mine done now more than ever.....but I have to go in for foot surgery next month and been in pain for a year now and it has really slowed my progress. I was at a car show over the weekend. I was parked by a Mustang and the guy never shut up about his POS. Everyone that walked by he told them to look at his before and after pics. It sat in a fieldand  he replaced sheet metal by the ton, it took 4 years...bla bla bla. He said over and over that his car was an ugly green (bullet mustang green) and went with resell red because he didn't work all the overtime to put it back the same lame color. Yeah my Cutlass is almost that same lame color green  ::) his paint was an inch thick, it was painted twice.....the first time it had runs  :laugh: The fr & r end caps had chips because there was so much paint on it. I sat by him for hours and he never spoke to me. I did speak loudly to a couple people that I only had 6K in my car because he kept saying he had 21K !! in a 68 coupe  :lol: I never seen it before but some regulars graded it like i did and they said my car is a way better car than his  ;D
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

bull

What's odd is that I haven't heard word one about my project from anyone during the past couple weeks. I guess people have a sixth sense that tells them when I'm working on it and when I'm slacking because I've been on it pretty steady here recently and I haven't gotten any crap.

A383Wing

Quote from: bull on September 13, 2009, 06:08:38 PM
What's odd is that I haven't heard word one about my project from anyone during the past couple weeks. I guess people have a sixth sense that tells them when I'm working on it and when I'm slacking because I've been on it pretty steady here recently and I haven't gotten any crap.

We all can change that around here, if ya want   :nana:

Steve P.

Yeah Bull. Your just hording ALL YOUR MONEY... To hell with the car. The back pocket is MUCH more important to people as TIGHT as you... Hahaha.. I just ask where THEIR ride is..  ;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

lacucarachaloco

yeah... mostly from people who have never restored or have barely even worked on a car... occasionally a little grumbling from my girl but with her all I have to do is remind her that her '57 T-Bird hasn't left her mothers garage in 8 years.

bull

Quote from: 89MOPAR on August 24, 2009, 01:01:10 PM

Next time one of your work buddies gives a hard time, say...
   " It's gone, i sold it for $200 "

They'll be exclaiming ---" what , $200 ?   I would have bought it  !!!   WTH , why didn't you tell me, etc"

You Say ---" Well since you always give me so much sh*t about it, I figured you certainly wouldn't have wanted it, so why bother telling you, too bad so sad "

;D ;D ;D
Than wait about two weeks, until the story has gone around the shop a few times,  and reveal you still own it.   

I tried a variation of this at work a few days ago and it worked like a charm. :2thumbs: This guy was giving me his usual DOH crap and smarting off about how long it's taking to restore my Charger so I told him I was going to sell it. He changed his tune real quick. He almost went into panic mode and scolded me for considering such a thing after all the work and money I've put into it. :lol: I never did tell him I was just messing with his head.