News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

tunnel ram carbs

Started by l8rg8r, February 23, 2010, 09:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

l8rg8r

I am thinking of running a tunnel ram on my 383 I am running lunati vodo cam 60303 with 4.10 sure grip 1.78 headers mopar elec ign what carbs should I run double pumpers or single vacum second or mech i have a pair of eddy 625 cfm will they work

Ghoste

Personally I think you'd be a lot better off with a good dual plane like the Performer RPM and a Holley 750 or maybe a single plane like the tried and true Street Dominator with the same carb.  I know lots of people run tunnel rams on the street but they typically make their power in a higher rpm range which isn't always nice on the street.  Throw in a pair of carbs to overfeed that 383 and you could end up with no low end torque and a lot of unhappiness.  :Twocents:

Cooter

Agreed..Twin carb's on a tunnel ram poking through the hood looks like it'll haul ass, but are mainly used for upper end power..(4000-8000)...

If your dead bent on a Tunnel Ram, I'd go with a pair of Vac. secondary Holley's myself...That might give that 383 a little more time to handle the extra fuel upon nailing it...

Mopar Muscle had one of the engine challenge guys try a tunnel ram with twin AFB carbs and it actually hurt power, wjhile one with a tunnel ram, and twin Q-Jets improved power output...This was of course, at the upper end of the RPM range which isn't really where a "Street" engine usually runs at...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

firefighter3931

A pair of 625 edelbrock carbs should work fine on that build. I would try it and see how it runs. Contrary to popular belief ; tunnel rams make excellent torque and can be quite streetable when properly tuned. You have enough gear (4.10) to make it work but you will need some stall speed to match up the cam/induction system/gearing. If it were mine....i'd be looking at a good quality 10in converter for that combo  ;)

Try it on the car without the hood installed and see how you like it. No point in cutting up the hood before you're sure you want to keep it that way.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

From what I've seen, the "quite streetable when properly tuned" must be the big qualifier then because any of the ones I've encountered have been real dogs on the street Ron.

Doright

Always amazes me when guys dont use carbs that were designed to be used on a tunnel ram and wonder why it doesn't run right.

Holley 4224 660cfm center squirters were the only carbs designed to be used on a tunnel ram.

Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more

harley

Quote from: Doright on February 25, 2010, 10:05:35 AM
Always amazes me when guys dont use carbs that were designed to be used on a tunnel ram and wonder why it doesn't run right.

Holley 4224 660cfm center squirters were the only carbs designed to be used on a tunnel ram.

I agree 100%. I run 2 holley 750's on my 440 and now my 505ci motor with no problems. I have gone back to back T/R to single 850 carb, and the T/R was faster. They also run good on the street.

Doright

What amazes me even more is the amount of people that dont know how too Tune a Carburetor properly ::)

Let alone how to Tune an engine properly  :RantExplode:  Pretty much a lost art :hah:
Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more

Ghoste

I agree about it being a lost art but don't kid yourself either, there weren't all that many people who truly knew how to tune a carb properly even back in the day.  There was never a shortage of self proclaimed carb experts but oddly enough, there was never much of a shortage of very boogered up used carbs for sale too.  :icon_smile_wink: