News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carb hesitation

Started by twodko, March 24, 2010, 05:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twodko

This little ponderment occurs whether I'm at a stop light or driving down the road. For lack of a better description, the mill hickups very briefly. The engine runs smoothly otherwise. Is this caused by heat coming up from the windage tray effecting the gas before it hits the carb or maybe the carb itself? The car is a 69 440/727 bone stock, no headers and stock fuel line plumbing. Thanks.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

billschroeder5842

Thnaks for the question--I that that answered too!
Texas Proud!

Silver R/T

does it have vapor separator installed?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

elacruze

Quote from: twodko on March 24, 2010, 05:50:55 PM
This little ponderment occurs whether I'm at a stop light or driving down the road. For lack of a better description, the mill hickups very briefly. The engine runs smoothly otherwise. Is this caused by heat coming up from the windage tray effecting the gas before it hits the carb or maybe the carb itself? The car is a 69 440/727 bone stock, no headers and stock fuel line plumbing. Thanks.

Tom

That could be almost anything. Can you give more description? RPMs? Throttle settings? How frequent? Humidity make a difference? Carb never cleaned inside? Points or electronic ignition? How old are the plug wires?

Eric
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

twodko

Hi Eric,

This hesitation occurs when the car is idling or at freeway speed everytime I drive the car and its very brief. We don't have a lot of humidity around here (NorCal), the car has electronic ignition and the plug wires are new as are the plugs. The carb etc looks spotless, its a fairly new Holley 750. The engine also runs rough when cold, sort of a lopping idle until it warms up. Carb tweaking has never been my strong suit.

Tom

elacruze

Just about any speed shop or good Auto parts will have a Holley tuning manual, or just look online. They're easy to tune if you have a book, you don't have to be an engineer. Just read and try.
Sounds like it may just be too lean-have you looked at the plugs? If they're white or nearly, you need to richen up.
Start by adjusting the float level, then the idle mixture, then move to the part-throttle jetting as necessary.
There are probably a lot of guys who can walk you through it here, too, but it's been too long for me to remember all the details.

Eric
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

twodko