News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 charger backup harness routing

Started by 69chargerGenLEE, January 22, 2010, 04:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69chargerGenLEE

I was Curious does anyone know how the 68 chargers backup light wire harness is wired from the switch off the console to the bulkhead , I have a 69 but i gota hook it up like a 68 being as the guy put a 68's transmission it my car !! I got the console switch and have a harness on the way ,, so whats the routing after it leaves the console switch ???   :shruggy:

Needa68

It seems you and I both have electrical related posts that are being read but not answered. Maybe I can help with yours.

I've read your post several times but am not entirely clear about your intentions. For purposes of this reply I'm assuming you just want to install a reverse lights switch on an automatic transmission center console shifter and connect the wiring. 

If by chance you are installing a console in a vehicle that previously had a manual transmission or the shifter for the automatic on the steering column you might want to consider hooking up more than the back up switch. I suggest this because if you bought an automatic console wiring harness the console lights are also part of the harness. If all you wanted to hook up was reverse lights you really didn't need the harness, only the switch.

The wiring harness your ordered, provided it is for an automatic center console, should in addition to the wiring for the shifter switch contain the wiring and bulb holders for the console courtesy lights (one either side), the shift indicator and a ground. Normally the console wiring harness connects to another harness that runs under the driver seat to the driver door where it enters the cable conduit, turns right then runs to the driver side "A" pillar post. At the "A" pillar post the second harness plugs into the dash wiring harness. As the second harness leaves the console the ground wire (black in color) attaches to the floor pan near the transmission tunnel.

If your vehicle was not originally equipped with a center console and still has its original dash wiring harness it will not have a connection for the console wiring harness that I just described. The one that runs to the driver  "A" pillar post. While this makes the installation more difficult it can still be done. I've done two console installations in non-console vehicles. The second as you might guess was easier than the first.

If you have a vehicle that came from the factory with a console you'll need the second wiring harness. If not you'll need to fabricate one. Instead of running all the wiring under the driver's seat it is easier (if the carpet and seats are installed) to run the fabricated harness out the front of the console then splice it into the dash wiring harness. At the console you'll need to either find a connector with the correct number of wires that will plug into the console wiring harness you purchased or cut off the connector and extend the wires to fit.

I prefer to have a disconnect point in the console. One time I used a plug and socket with matching colored wires. The second time I found an old connector in some old wiring I had that worked. 

Use the harness you purchased as the basis for identifying and running the individual circuits using the information that follows:

Function               Color               Ckt #      Termination Point

Shifter Light    Orange          E2-18O         Fuse Box - Position 6 - Instrument Feed

Shifter Light   Black                    Ground        Attach to body

Cons. Lights   Pink         M1-18 P        Fuse Box – Pos. 4 – Dome Light / Lighter

Cons. Lights   Yellow         M2-18Y        Splice to yellow door switches wire

Switch      Violet        B2-18V       At "A" pillar splice to violet wire in bodywiring harness.

Switch           Violet w/ white   B1-18W       Fuse Box – Pos. 1 – Radio / Back up lights

Note: All connections at fuse box must be on output side of fuses.

One last thing. Ensure the switch is properly adjusted so that it is engaged when the shifter is in the reverse position. Check the switch output leads with an ohm meter. When in the reverse position the meter should read a short and open when in any other position. I tell you this from the perspective of having made all the connections once only to find the lights didn't work. Turned out there was nothing wrong with the wiring but it took me a long while to find the problem which was the switch wasn't adjusted correctly.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
Drive fast, make the light.

The Mitchell & Mitchell 1968 Dodge Restorations

http://www.68dodgerestorations.com

69chargerGenLEE

hey man, thanks so much  :cheers:
                                                                                                                 Dan