News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

4 speed tranny question

Started by raw201, December 23, 2009, 05:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raw201

Hello all, I just recently bought a '71 charger and had a 4-speedy tranny thrown in as part of the deal.  How to you ID what kind it is?  I have some info from the stampings.....

on the inspection cover, I believe it reads: C 95644 Z

Also, towarsd the input shaft, it is cast in bigger letters   A3
                                                                                  C 99129 H

Not sure if this helps, if not......what should I look for to determine what I got?   :shruggy:

Any help is certainly appreciated and thanks in advance!!

Rich

oldschool

1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

maxwellwedge

VIN # stamped on the pad? How many splines does the input shaft have?

bull

maxwellwedge

That's because they are Bullhousing numbers Bell...........I mean Bellhousing numbers, Bull.  :lol:  :2thumbs:

maxwellwedge

A3 &  C 99129 H sound like a good # for the case. Does the tailshaft housing have 1 or 2 mounting pads for the shifter?

raw201

I'll get some pics an more answers to your questions here in the next day or so......depending when I can sneak over to the garage during Christmas visiting!   :angel:

Thanks for the help.... :cheers:

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

raw201

Quote from: maxwellwedge on December 23, 2009, 10:01:03 PM
VIN # stamped on the pad? How many splines does the input shaft have?

Ghoste

Is there a pad on the other side of that thing with some numbers stamped into it?

raw201

Quote from: Ghoste on December 26, 2009, 01:34:40 PM
Is there a pad on the other side of that thing with some numbers stamped into it?

Sorry, forgot to post the other pics.  Two pics below show numbers on the tailshaft and on the other side (opposing inspection cover). 

John_Kunkel

There should be numbers stamped in the raised pad in pic "other side.jpg". Scrape off the crud and post the numbers, they will tell all.

raw201

Quote from: John_Kunkel on December 27, 2009, 12:25:37 AM

There should be numbers stamped in the raised pad in pic "other side.jpg". Scrape off the crud and post the numbers, they will tell all.

I should be heading to the garage in the next day or so......!  Thanks!   :cheers:

THE STIG

I'm curious what are you going to do with that thing?

RD

Quote from: THE STIG on December 29, 2009, 09:59:30 PM

off topic, but are you a brit?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Ghoste

THE STIG

Quote from: RD on December 29, 2009, 10:52:45 PM
Quote from: THE STIG on December 29, 2009, 09:59:30 PM

off topic, but are you a brit?

Nope no brit, just like the name, and the show

Smokey Bear

There are some clues assuming it has not been fuggled with:

It has the long tailshaft so it is B, E-body, or van.
It has the dual shifter mount so it is 1970 or later.
The 3-4 shift lever is not upside down, so it is not overdrive.

I'll be curious to see what the numbers end up saying.

raw201

Quote from: John_Kunkel on December 27, 2009, 12:25:37 AM

Sorry for the delay in getting back to the thread!  I got the "crud" off the stamp and it revealed these nubmers:  0A182351

Also, found some other #'s when cleaning, not sure if they will assist or not:  PP833 3037                 0262

Thanks so much for the help!   :cheers:

John_Kunkel

0A182351 is the partial VIN of a '70 car built at the Lynch Road plant so it's probably from a B body Plymouth.

PP833 3037 0262

PP833= New Process 833 4-speed
3037= Build date November 20, 1969
0262= Sequence number, the 262nd built that day.

raw201

:2thumbs:
Thanks so much.........you guys are great!   :cheers:

rattlehead_74

not related but is ..kinda....can anyone help me figure this one out ?   waiting for the numbers.. until then heres a pic ...thanks in advance