News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Your thoughts on this 833

Started by THE STIG, January 16, 2010, 12:51:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE STIG

I found this on my local Craigslist and I was looking for some input, from some people who have more insight in these matters than myself. I've got a 70 Charger 500 with a 440 that I was looking to convert to a manual.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/pts/1551047697.html

John_Kunkel

A '68 transmission isn't a direct swap into a '70, the mount pad location on the bottom of the tailhousing is further back on the pre-'70. Brewer's makes a conversion crossmember to allow the use of the pre-'70 trans in a '70.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

THE STIG

cool thanks for telling me, I diden't know that. My 440 is a 75 does that make any difference?

Rayzor

Is your 440 a factory steel crank? If not and its cast then you wil need to get the pilot bearing drilled in the back of it. Have never done it myself just what I remember reading so I could be wrong. You would also need the correct balanced flywheel for the cast crank.

Cooter

Finding a Flywheel for the EXTERNAL balanced Chrysler engines such as a CAST crank 440 you have, will not be as easy as one might think...

Hays, MCleod, etc. Might have one and MIGHT not...It really would be better if you could swap out your cast lower end with a Steel crank and rods..Of course, this will mean going into the engine and rebalancing the short block assy...I know the 360 SB Chrysler flywheel in a 10 1/2" CAR unit is like hens teeth round here, as it is External balance as well....Mopar performance has a "Balancing" template you COULD use, but I've heard that it does NOT work very well..(Drilling balancing holes in an internal balance flywheel)...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"