News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

More Demons in the Duster

Started by 69bronzeT5, January 22, 2010, 03:19:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

So, we put a ground strap from the firewall to the block because we realized the last owner forgot to put it back on. Solved all the electrical problems, it was starting everytime, all the lights worked....all was good....or so I thought. I knew I needed a new battery so I went out and bought a new one today. Put it in and the car fired right up. Turned the lights on and backed down the driveway. Took 2 trips up the street and back. I turned the lights off on one trip. One the way back to my house, coming down the street I went to turn the headlights on and poof, the car died. I ended up coasting back to my house. Anyways, after that it wouldn't start at all with the key and when you crossed the starter relay, it would turn over but no spark. So we did the good 'ole run a wire from the coil to the battery trick and it starts everytime with the key now. As soon as you remove the wire though it dies.......what's up?
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

71_deputy

SOUNDS LIKE MAYBE THE FUSABLE LINK is toast- should be from the stater relay to the harness- larger wire- should FEEL different than the others!
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: 71_deputy on January 22, 2010, 08:51:12 AM
SOUNDS LIKE MAYBE THE FUSABLE LINK is toast- should be from the stater relay to the harness- larger wire- should FEEL different than the others!

Thats what i was thinking. Was the Alt gauge bouncing around any....or pegged? Could also be a loose voltage regulator or a bad one.

BBD

69bronzeT5

b5blue

69bronzeT5

Quote from: b5blue on January 23, 2010, 06:18:23 PM
Starer relay connections?  :scratchchin:

Nope, all good there. Also a new relay bought in June. Get this though, went out this morning and unhooked the wire we put from the coil to the battery and it started. Lights work now but when you turn the blinker on, the alt gauge drops to nothing. I swear this thing is like Christine :lol:

Needa68

In 1968, my new Coronet R/T used to do the same thing. Turned out the problem was at the bulk head connector. In the engine compartment at the bulkhead connector the center cable was not making good contact. The center cable carries the circuit that runs from the starter relay through the fusible length, then through the bulk head connector to the ammeter on the dash. It carries a lot of current for the size of the wire used. Disconnect the center cable from the bulkhead connector to make sure Pin J is making good contact.

To find Pin J trace the wire with the fusible link in it to the bulkhead. Don't be surprised if you have difficult removing the cable. Sometimes the leads at Pin J weld to each other or short out to surrounding wires. Also be careful when removing the cable connector from the bulkhead connector. The cable locking tabs can be easily broken if one pries to hard with a screw driver. Been there, done that!

Also, if the contacts are not burned pull some maintenance while you have the cable removed. Burnish the Pin J contacts and coat them with some electrical grease before reassembling.
Drive fast, make the light.

The Mitchell & Mitchell 1968 Dodge Restorations

http://www.68dodgerestorations.com