News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

NEW AMD fender and hood

Started by mopar0166, January 27, 2010, 08:12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar0166

I just bought a new AMD fender and hood and now have to get the car ready for a repaint. ( Painted last year) What prep is required for these new panels and existing paint on the car ?  Any help would be greatly Appreciated!

elitecustombody

Why repaint fresh paint?Is it that bad?

On new panels I'd use brown scotch pad,scuff the surface up real good,then go over lightly with 400 grit.

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

mopar0166

basically i roughed it up with i think 800 grit to prime the inside side of the fender to apply under coating it seemed to work ok but i need to know what prep i should do to the new fender and hood becuase i have my panels aligned now and its sanding & priming time again.  Hopefully to head out to paint the first week of march.  Any helpful thoughts ?

elitecustombody

800 grit is way too fine,especially for prepping surface for undercoating.On new panel ,use 320-400 grit and brown scotch pad before primer

Stefan

mopar0166

So the panels need to be primed then, i was under the impression the were goona be ready for paint?  if i do have to prime then what i was thinking was correct    thanks

elitecustombody

yes, you'd want to prime new parts outside as well as the back, I recommend few coats of epoxy primer,it has alot better adhesion than 2K primer-surfacer,you can also use the epoxy primer as sealer right before spraying paint, just add reducer

Stefan