News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any bicyclists on here? Could use some advice...

Started by bill440rt, December 30, 2009, 11:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

I haven't owned or rode a bike in at least 25 years. Well, my oldest son is now of bike riding age, & I'm looking to purchase a bike to ride along with him. At the very least I could use the exercise!  :D

Does anyone have any recommendations for an entry-level bike? I'm currently looking at hybrids (no, NOT that kind of hybrid!  :eek2: )  Most notably the Diamondback Insight or Edgewood.
Anyone know if they're any good?  :shruggy:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

FLG

What kind if biking?

I used to use a standard mountain bike to get around, but got into BMX for awhile..boy is that fun and a great workout.

How old is he? BMX can be really alot of fun and you definatly build up some muscle. If you start out young at the sport you can easily excel and become great, especially if he gets into it.

derailed

Not sure what type of riding your into. Since I got my son who is 7 into BMX racing a few years ago I noticed that there is more and more adults there reliving there childhood there. Seems the 24" cruisers are popular on the track with the bigger kids and adults. I never really could get myself accustomed to the whole full suspension thing and find i dont shift gears much when i ride and have been looking into going back to a rigid single speed 26 or 29er for all around riding. Redline has a nice line of lightweight bikes. This is something like what I am looking for.

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/bikes/mtb/2010-monocog-flight-29er

FLG

Quote from: derailed on December 31, 2009, 01:00:27 AM
Not sure what type of riding your into. Since I got my son who is 7 into BMX racing a few years ago I noticed that there is more and more adults there reliving there childhood there. Seems the 24" cruisers are popular on the track with the bigger kids and adults. I never really could get myself accustomed to the whole full suspension thing and find i dont shift gears much when i ride and have been looking into going back to a rigid single speed 26 or 29er for all around riding. Redline has a nice line of lightweight bikes. This is something like what I am looking for.

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/bikes/mtb/2010-monocog-flight-29er

I occasionally still ride BMX, but since i live in Brooklyn ive always been a street rider. Would have probably went the other way if i grew up in a more rural area.

derailed

I looked at the insight about a month ago. Was impressed with how light it was. Would probably put a different set of tires on it if you planned on doing much trail riding, otherwise they would be ok. Look like a good bike for the money.

dkn1997

make sure you wear the tightest, gayest, bicycle pants you can find.  the more bright colors the better.  don't forget to ride in the middle of the road as if the world is your own personal bikepath. 

do the above and weigh about 400lbs and you will fit in around where I live  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
RECHRGED

bull

Giant makes some reasonably priced entry level street bikes. Whatever you get just be prepared to spend roughly $300 for something decent. And I'd try to avoid a Mt Bike setup for street riding. Too heavy and too rough riding. Most of the stuff sold and slapped together at places like Walmart are junk. And often times the real bike shops won't work on the junk sold at Walmart.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ca/bikes/model/seek.0/5440/37829/

BrianShaughnessy

Bill...  ever consider restoring a vintage Schwinn?   A real made in USA built like a tank version that never goes out of style. 

Your skillset would turn somebody's old garage sale item into a pearl.   It's surprising the amount of repro items there are for a real Schwinn as opposed to the furrin junk.

Lots of stuff available at the E-town swap meet coming up in April if you can't find anything on ebay/CL.     
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

bill440rt

Thanks for the replies & suggestions, guys.
I grew up riding BMX, but at this point it's really not something I'm going to be getting back into. I guess I'm looking for a decent street-type bike, or some kind of hybrid.
My son is a little over 5 years old now, my goal is to break him of the training wheels this year (he's a little afraid).

I'm not looking to spend a lotta dough, $400 absolute max. A pro bike right now is not what I need.
I like the Insight, but it seemed geared more towards racing vs road??  :scratchchin:  Tires were very thin, I guess that's why I was leaning towards the Edgewood. But, the reviews of the Edgewood aren't as good as the Insight. They both seem like lightweight bikes.

dkn, I'm the last guy you want to see in tight gay shorts.  :eek2: :eek2:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: bill440rt on December 31, 2009, 08:42:11 AM

Oh I definitely concur on that statement....does the catch word "turtlein'" come to mind? ;)

Anyhoo, I've had a Mongoose Switchback for 15+ years with great results....haven't really ridden (except out with the kiddies at times) it in the last 10 but the first 5 were great ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

dkn1997

Quote from: bill440rt on December 31, 2009, 08:42:11 AM

lol, me neither.. but you wouldn't believe the things I've seen that get on a bicycle.  I work in very wealthy areas and all of those fat bastards shove their lard into the tightest thing possible and then proceed to ride in the middle of the road at 3.5miles per hour on a $1500.00 bike.  I'm sure they take that one last look in the mirror before heading out and say "lance armstrong, eat your heart out" 
RECHRGED

greenpigs

It's sad but I have a Raleigh-sic mountain bike. About 350 bucks and not as heavy as you would think. Mine is in storage or I would have checked the spelling. 
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Nitrox

Quote from: bull on December 31, 2009, 04:27:31 AM
And I'd try to avoid a Mt Bike setup for street riding.

Most of the stuff sold and slapped together at places like Walmart are junk. And often times the real bike shops won't work on the junk sold at Walmart.

I could not TOTALLY disagree more.

For me, a MTB is STRONG enough to handle the streets. Hopping up on curbs, down curbs and all the other potholes and random crap the street hands you. I would destroy a street bike or hybrid if I rode it threw urban enviroments.

I also rode a $50 Huffy from Wal-Mart for 5 years threw Louisville, KY when I was at UofL. I put more miles on that bike than I ever did on my car. I couldent advise a person more to go buy something from wal-mart if they arent going to ride to often.

If you do plan to ride a lot then I would look into getting a "Trek"

defiance

depends on where you're riding.  If you're riding around on curbs and sidewalks and rough streets, OK - but in my area, we've got some REALLY nice dedictated muti-use (bike/pedestrian) paths.  If you've got good places to ride, you really would be better off with a street bike or hybrid.  Also, bike shorts look stupid, but I'd recommend you get them anyway.  If you don't like the way they look, cool, wear some jeans or shorts or something you feel good in over them, but the padding in bike shorts is placed where you need it - and if you do anything longer than 10-12 mile rides, you'll appreciate it.  I ride in jeans everytime I go out, but with bike shorts underneath after the first few times I went out and came back with a sore arse & crotch! :)

As for a bike, I bought a cheap wal-mart schwinn road bike (new schwinn varsity) because I wasn't sure I was going to stick with it - then when I ended up sticking with it, I replaced parts as needed.  I've now spent around $400 in upgrades to a $200 (new) bike I could probably sell for $50 :P  but it's ok.  If I had it to do over I'd probably go to the local bike shop I trust and pick a nice used road bike.

derailed

Quote from: Nitrox on December 31, 2009, 11:03:07 PM

For me, a MTB is STRONG enough to handle the streets. Hopping up on curbs, down curbs and all the other potholes and random crap the street hands you. I would destroy a street bike or hybrid if I rode it threw urban enviroments.

I agree, most of the riding I do with my son is street riding. We have a good selection of paved bike paths in the area but every now and then we will hit the trails around the Eric Canal and nature preserve. You can set a mountain bike up nicely for both street and trails. Whatever you end up buying i would steer clear of anything sold at the box stores with any type of suspension. There pretty much junk. Check craigslist for some good deals, you can often find a nicely built bike for the same price or a little more than the wolly world specials.

elacruze

How could any Father deny their child the experience of learning to ride on a Schwinn Newsboy Special, so big that he can't reach the pedals from the seat? I thought that was mandated in the Handbook somewhere.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Silver R/T

I used to have a Schwinn 18 speed, one of best bikes I've owned
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

klutch

Here's my set of wheels before I had keys, not vintage but still pretty solid. I wheelied this bike off many 8 foot drops -

(Insert something clever here)

derailed

This is my Predator, March 1983 model. My father bought it for me new. It went through many different phases and hell and back. Somewhat did a restoration on it last year.

FLG

Ill have to take a pic of my ride. Seems like this one is the only one i have atm. Was taken 2 years ago, was quite cold out.

Bike is pretty out dated compared to the new lighter stuff thats out now, at the time it ran me about 1k in stuff, for those who are into the sport...premium frame, Fit series 2 fork, odyssey rims, proper bars, and kink light pegs (built it about 4+ years ago).  Used to BMX every single day when i had the time. I literally would be out when the temp was in the teens...all i did was practice. I got out of it for awhile and basically suck now, need to re-learn alot of stuff. I remember us getting chased quite a bit by security..was good times.

bill440rt

Thanks for the additional info & photos, guys!

I will mostly be riding on either the street or maybe bike trails. There's a large park around here with paved bike paths to go riding with my son, nice area to ride. Not looking to go BMX riding or racing.

Here's my dilemna. I "hinted" to my wife that I'd like to get a bike to go riding with our son. Word got around, & I received a gift card to Sports Authority for Christmas, even though I wanted to go bike shopping at a bike shop. So, I'm kinda locked in at this point to something more over the counter at a chain store. I can't afford to plunk down payment on a bike at a bike shop, so the gift card helps.
I've been to about 3 Sports Authority stores around here. Some bikes don't look so good, others seem to be pretty nice.

Will a $350 bike be similar from a bike shop? I would think they would carry about the same in that price range.

derailed

Looks like they sell the insight there. Maybe also look at the Diamond Back Response mtb. Either one will probably be fine for cruising around town although I would change out the knobby tires to something a little more streetable if you got the mountain bike. You can always upgrade the front fork down the road to if you find it necessary.

bill440rt

Quote from: derailed on January 01, 2010, 01:41:46 PM
Looks like they sell the insight there. Maybe also look at the Diamond Back Response mtb. Either one will probably be fine for cruising around town although I would change out the knobby tires to something a little more streetable if you got the mountain bike. You can always upgrade the front fork down the road to if you find it necessary.

Yep, that's one of the reasons I was looking at them. They also have the Edgewood, even though it's not on S.A.'s website. Most S.A's around here carry Diamondback, Mongoose, Columbia, and some other off-brands. I was not impressed with the Columbia bikes at all.

Well, the verdict is in. I test rode both the Edgewood & the Insight. I did not like the Edgewood AT ALL.  :down: 

Both bikes had a "medium" sized 17" frame, I'm under 6' tall, & just under 150lbs. The Edgewood had too high of a profile for me. Also, the suspension was very spongy & felt almost unstable when braking. It was like riding on a spring. It also had mixed online reviews.
The Insight was tight, fast, and comfortable. There is no suspension, it's more of a performance hybrid. Tires are thinner, too. I won't be doing any off-roading, & I'm fine with that. Really a nice looking bike, too. The online reviews were very good, only bad thing I read is that the brakes sometimes squeak, but that was on some older models. Swapping out the pads cured it. The bike I rode was quiet.
They're going to set it up, I pick it up tomorrow. Can't wait until spring!  :icon_smile_cool:

derailed

Sounds like you made a good choice. The spongy suspension is why I like riding rigid frame and fork bikes. I fit my Trek with a set of Judy rock shox forks and a Cane Creek shock and it rides nice but I am still looking to sell it and go back to a full rigid. Those spongy non adjustabe forks are nothing but trouble and could result in a nice tumble over the handlebars if you have to do some quick evasive turns. I know from experience.  :icon_smile_blackeye: