News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Durango rotors: drilled, drilled and slotted, slotted and dimpled or OE?

Started by bull, February 05, 2010, 09:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

As is typical on these things my OE Durango rotors warped after I had them turned so now I'm looking to get new ones. I've heard the drilled rotors are prone to cracking but pretty much the only thing available for an 03 other than OE is the drilled and slotted kind. There are very few out there that are slotted only but those are 50% to 100% more money and I'm reluctant to pony up for those having already spent $180 on the brake job 10k miles ago. Are today's drilled rotors still bad for crackiing? I did see some rotors that are dimpled and slotted so I'm wondering if those would work better. I've never had any drilled and/or slotted rotors and would kind of like to try them instead of going back to the OE style. Any ideas?

FYI, "dimpled" means there are holes drilled in the rotors but they are not drilled all the way through. Like these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170438010919&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Here's the drilled/slotted ones I'm looking at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390146427231&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

WHITE AND RED 69

I was in the same situation about a year and a half ago with my 99 jeep grand cherokee and I went with drilled and slotted rotors from stainless steel brakes. I've had no cracks or warping at all since I installed them and it will be 2 years around June with them on. With my old replacement OEM ones I could feel them start to warp within a year so I thought it would be better to upgrade and so far they have been very good. no warping at all, the pedal has felt just about the same ever since I installed them.

I dont know if the durangos are as prone to warping as the 99 cherokees but if they are go with the drilled and/or slotted. It made a big difference for me.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

bull

Thanks for the help. Durango rotors are notorious for warping but I think it only happens after they get turned because mine were fine until this brake job.

John_Kunkel

A lot of people report lots of brake dust after installing other-than-smooth rotors; no problem if you enjoy cleaning your wheels often.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

bull

Quote from: John_Kunkel on February 06, 2010, 07:22:52 PM

A lot of people report lots of brake dust after installing other-than-smooth rotors; no problem if you enjoy cleaning your wheels often.

Who doesn't enjoy cleaning wheels?

John_Kunkel

Bull, when you get to my age you might sing a different tune. The only time I can comfortably do anything to wheels is when the car is on the lift and the wheels are belly high.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

bull

Quote from: John_Kunkel on February 08, 2010, 06:49:06 PM

Bull, when you get to my age you might sing a different tune. The only time I can comfortably do anything to wheels is when the car is on the lift and the wheels are belly high.

I hear ya, and some days I feel like I'm there already.