News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what color are the rear brake drums painted on the 73 CHARGER & road runner ?

Started by rav440, April 12, 2010, 05:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rav440

i know certin older MOPARS had RED on the face of the drums and clear metal on the rim of the drum was this the same for 73 ?

thanks RANDY
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

68RRFlyer

Drums should be natural steel.  The red paint you see is something applied to signify the car gets Road Wheels (Magnum 500s in other venues) later on down the assembly line.  It's about a 2" wide swath of red paint and sometimes drips down the sides of the drums too.  Sloppy at best.  I'm not sure when the processed stopped for that.  Maybe mid 70s?? :shruggy:  I'm more of a pre 70 guy, so not too sure about the later gens.  But that's the reason for the red on the drums anywhooo! :2thumbs:

Cheers  :cheers:
Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1964 Corvette Convertible
1949 Chevy 3100

maxwellwedge

True on the above - any styled wheel (Road or Rallye) got the red paint on the drums......Not sure about 73 but I see no reason why they would stop the procedure - I have seen it on 72's.

Sublime/Sixpack

My '70 Charger came from the factory with red paint on the face of the rear drums, just curious what year the red paint thing began, '68, '69? Anyone know for sure?
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

maxwellwedge

I have the '70 Engineering that shows it and I think Geno posted some '69 Engineering on it once.

Good question - I'll ask a buddy who probably knows for sure.

rav440

thanks guys . i had mine media blasted and there was red under the layers of black . so i guess that means something .

:popcrn:

John_Kunkel

This drawing is dated late in the '69 model year.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Sublime/Sixpack

I doubt that the factory worker that painted my Charger's rear drums took the time to read #6 on the instruction sheet. Besides getting paint where he wasn't supposed to, he slopped it on heavy. My Rallyes that were on the back still have red paint on them where the excess paint ran/dripped off the drum onto the back side of the rim.  ::) ;D
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Ghoste

I doubt they ever even saw the instruction sheet out on the shop floor.  It's more likely that the instructions were relayed to his supervisor who instructed him to "Take that red paint and slop it on those brake drums and make sure you're damned fast about it too!".  :yesnod:

rav440

Quote from: Ghoste on April 19, 2010, 06:12:34 AM
I doubt they ever even saw the instruction sheet out on the shop floor.  It's more likely that the instructions were relayed to his supervisor who instructed him to "Take that red paint and slop it on those brake drums and make sure you're damned fast about it too!".  :yesnod:

:smilielol: