News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's the biggest performance mistake you've ever made?

Started by Ghoste, January 05, 2010, 11:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

For myself I'd have to say that one of the worst was getting the regular Edelbrock Performer intake.  I thought the cheaper intake without the installation hassles of it's Performer RPM big brother.  Wrong.  It killed performance and was too light to be much good as a doorstop either. 
I'm sure I've made worse performance mistakes but I can't think of them right now.

Cooter

Sprayin' twin plate kits @300 HP each on a mild 440......
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1Bad70Charger

PISSING AWAY THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS on modifying modern state of the art muscle cars, namely corvettes, years 1998 through 2003 (they are all sold) then f u cking selling them for thousands and thousands dollars less than I had invested in them (YES I AM DONE WITH THAT PAST)  :brickwall: when I should have been investing in Mopar Classic Muscle Cars!  :cheers:

Oh yeah, should of stayed freaking single also!  :icon_smile_angry:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

68X426

Quote from: Ghoste on January 05, 2010, 11:55:01 PM
What's the biggest performance mistake you've ever made?

Let's just say that the performance mistake lasted more than four hours. :2thumbs:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Neal_J

Buying & wrapping a garbage disposal for my bridge on our 1st Christmas together.

Oh wait. You meant.... Err, nevermind. 

greenpigs

I guess not replacing my pistons with the 6 pack ones years ago during the rebuild. An actual mistake was getting an eldelbrock carb. The biggest was not checking the ground on my ECU and spending WAY to much time and money fixing things that the bad ground was responsible for.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Tom Q

I tried to put a tremec 5 speed from a southern state in an E body.  It did not fit properly due to inadequate engineering and a love of money.  I tried telling the vendor and the vendor attempted to stick me with the defective product.  A huge nightmare.

I went on moparts to tell my tale of woe and Mr Mopar Tech from the M-A group got on there called my orig sheet-metal car junk  and my talents worthless junk and all the lemmings believed him. Dogpile!!!  Mr Mopar & i were good friends until that day, now he won't speak to me.  Apparently free transmissions do strange things to people.

At carlisle that year Ron Adair [RIP Ron] was telling only people who actually bought something from him that those snakes [the swap spot right next to him] were screwing people.  The snakes slithered over and wanted to fight with Ron. Security came and chased the snakes away. The snakes had their mouthpiece send threatening letters to Ron and myself. Now the mouthpieces are defending the snakes in bankruptcy court.

I called my credit card bank and they cut off the head of the snake by giving me a full refund and telling the vendor no recourse ever.

It took two years for the snake to make good on his promises that we agreed upon to  resolve our situation. Only after a legal letter of demand was sent.

BEWARE OF SNAKES!

Ghoste

I had a run in with the same snake but it has nothing to do with transmissions and occured long before he got into that business.  But it basically laid his whole personality out for me.

Mike DC

Runner

to much cam for a stock converter in a 383,  car was an absolute pig. 

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

A383Wing

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 06, 2010, 04:13:13 PM

Over-carb'ing a street motor. 

Same here...got dual quads on a 383....1250 cfm on factory cast iron 383 intake, then I decided to port the head myself...

Mefirst

My car performance headaches began the second I went to the Drag Race track for the first time.. I must have been out of my damn mind.. thinking about it, I still am...

My :Twocents:

Runner

Quote from: Mefirst on January 06, 2010, 10:31:05 PM
My car performance headaches began the second I went to the Drag Race track for the first time.. I must have been out of my damn mind.. thinking about it, I still am...

My :Twocents:

:smilielol:      that first trip to the dragstrip sure was an eye opener for me. 

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Ghoste

b5blue

mauve66

for listening to all those people that told me to "get rid of that troublesome 6pak, they never run right" when all along it was really my fuel pump :brickwall: :brickwall:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

ChgrSteve67

TylerCharger69

Putting a Ford rear end underneath a Mopar....Dammit!!....What a POS!!!

elacruze

Selling my CH4B before road testing the single-plane M1.

Then there was that 'failure to time cams' issue on my 2.4l twin-cam. I guess it needed porting and exhaust valves anyway...
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.