News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need help selecting the right torque converter for 69 Runner, 440, 3.91 gears.

Started by 1Bad70Charger, December 17, 2009, 12:36:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Bad70Charger

Hi there,

I am very happy to be back into the classic muscle car Mopar scene and just picked up a pretty sweet looking ralleye green 69 Roadrunner, with black steel rims and black fiberglass lift off 6-pack hood (unfortuantey no 6 pack carb set-up).

My Roadrunner is running essentially a stock 1970 440 engine, built to stock specs., but running a slightly hotter cam than stock (possibly a Purple 509 cam but not certain if its a 509 or not but was told it was but have no documentation on the cam but its not stock, at least slightly hotter).
Engine is also running Hedman Headers, 800 Carb, and some type of high performance dual plane intake manifold (but nothing fancy).

Car has a stock torque flight 727 with 3.91 gears in a 8 3/4 rear end and runs pretty good as she sits, but I know a nice torque converter for street action will really wake her up coming out of the whole, etc.

What torque converter (specific brand and stall and best place to buy it) would you guys recommend for the street, that will really wake her up based upon the combo and gears described above, and the car will be driven on the street full time as a street car, but I have high tolerances for looser converters and running a 3000 stall for me is no problem. Car does have a tranny cooler installed on it but nothing fancy and not really big.   Also, does it make sense from a performance view to throw in a shift kit if I put in a converter in my stock 727?

Also, since we are on the topic of performance, what else would really wake up the car without breaking the bank?  I was thinking throwing on some alum. edelbrook performer heads and how much more HP do you think that would give me as the heads I am ruuning are stock 440 heads (and nothing that special in my opinion).

Thanks in advance and if you want to see pics of the car feel free to check out this link as she is a looker, and the least picture link is actually a video with the car idling and then being revved up a bit.

http://www.lbfun.com/warehouse/misc/69roadrunner/

I am REALLY glad to be back into the classic Mopar muscle car family again, and this car has always being my favorite body style and this one is a keeper for me!  :cheers:

48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

1Bad70Charger

Looks like this thread is probably better suited for the performance section.

LOVE the sticky on proven engine combos and know I will be hanging around there quite a bit  :2thumbs: as I decide if I am going to simply build up my existing 440 motor, or turn into a 500+ cid stroker.

Quick question on Cylinder Heads:

Is there an affordable cylinder head like the Edlebrock Performer Alum. Heads, that will work well with both my existing 440 engine and with a stroker engine if I decide to stroke the engine to around 500 cubes in the future?

That way I would not have to buy the heads twice and can enjoy some extra performance on my existing engine, and reuse the heads if I go to the stroker set-up.

Thanks in advance regarding any input to any of my questions concerning converter and clylinder heads.  :cheers:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

mikesbbody

There are guy's here who know much more than I do but I would say the eddy head's are a good choice or the 440 stealth heads, The Mopar Performance heads are made by Edelbrock so they are good too  :2thumbs: