News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can I run the engine with no trans?

Started by sixpack_sid, December 15, 2009, 08:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

I know it's not a Dodge, but I have a 95 Camaro 4.3 that's leaking oil like a siv. I took down the trans and the flywheel, thought it was leaking from the oil pan or the rear main seal. Turns out it was leaking at the overhead cam gasket above the rear main seal. So I changed that and am ready to put it back together, but I want to make sure it's not leaking from somewhere else. Can I start the motor to run the oil with the trans down??
I'd hate to put it all back together and find it's still leaking! :brickwall: It was leaking a quart every 2 weeks.
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

SeattleCharger

I am not sure how you would do it exactly, but on the pics of all the engine dyno tests they do in machine shops I see on here, there is no trans in the set up as far as I can tell, I guess it runs the dyno thing.  I don't know why you couldn't do it, it would be just like the trans was in nuetral or park, ?  kinda guessing, someone who knows will chime in I'm sure    :Twocents:

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Ghoste

You can do it but make sure you have it in some kind of fixture.  Don't laugh, I know of people who have started engines laying on the floor and the results were not good.  I would also suggest having a bellhousing of some sort at the rear for safety's sake.

Sublime/Sixpack

As long as you have something to bolt your starter to (bell housing) and something to engage the starter to (flywheel) I don't see any reason why you couldn't fire it up.  Of course I'm not familiar with a '95 Camaro with a 4.3, but I've fired up a bunch of Mopar V8 engines and a few '60's and '70's Chev V8's without a transmission in place.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

charger2fast4u

i don't see anything wrong with doing that. like sublime/sixpack said as long as you have the starter hooked up to the bell housing. i would suggest supporting your engine up with something so it don't stress the motor mounts and block might crack either of them. since your motor probably tilted back when you dropped the trans. or would it be fine? someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Back N Black

On a Chevy the starter bolts to the engine block so no need for a bell housing. I started Chevy 350  hanging from the ceiling in my buddies barn.  :2thumbs:

Sublime/Sixpack

1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Cooter

I too am not to familar with the '95 Camaro 4.3....I'm used to the 3.4 V6....

This engine is notorious for leaking oil at the rear main, back of intake, valve covers, and oil pan...

You should be able to fire the engine in the car without the trans as the starter bolts to the block IIRC...

HOWEVER, You must be careful when you do this...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"