News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Train hits fire truck March 1st in Detroit

Started by TruckDriver, March 24, 2010, 05:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

Saw this on the news a little while ago. :o

It WAS a $600,000 fire truck they said.

I'd think someone is going to be in trouble :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ji0bTmrspo
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

69bronzeT5

I love how fast the cop got off the tracks when he saw the train coming. I love this guy's comment.... :hah: :hah: :hah:

"Well, it's crystal clear that the train is at fault here since it never even attempted to swerve or turn out of the way of that truck. I mean what do the trains think... that they own the tracks and there shouldn't be any fire trucks parked on them? Clearly the Detroit fire trucks are in control of the train tracks and those pesky trains need to stay off of them"
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

mopar73

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on March 24, 2010, 05:31:13 PM
I love how fast the cop got off the tracks when he saw the train coming. I love this guy's comment.... :hah: :hah: :hah:

"Well, it's crystal clear that the train is at fault here since it never even attempted to swerve or turn out of the way of that truck. I mean what do the trains think... that they own the tracks and there shouldn't be any fire trucks parked on them? Clearly the Detroit fire trucks are in control of the train tracks and those pesky trains need to stay off of them"
:iagree: :iagree:

bull

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on March 24, 2010, 05:31:13 PM

That's only slightly better than the clueless rebuttal: "you are and idiot! The train can't swerve or turn out of the way. It has to follow the tracks. The engineer only has a throttle and a brake. The Firetruck should NEVER have been parked on the train tracks. Trains always have the right away. Your posting shows just how ingorant you are as regards to the operation of trains and the law."

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Todd Wilson

Perfect example of not occupying a railroad crossing if you cannot get thru it. Never Never Never stop on the tracks.  If you are in traffic and have to stop  then stop before you go over the tracks. When traffic moves again and you have enough room to go over the tracks to the other side then go. I have seen this situation on the video many many many time.........someone always stopping on the tracks. The firetruck and the cop both were not being safe.

Todd

John_Kunkel

Seems like the engineer was a little late getting on the horn, a few more seconds might have made a difference.  :shruggy:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Mike DC

Those trains are sneaky.  They really come out of nowhere when you're least expecting it.   

resq302

With working for a police dept, anytime we or the fire dept is on the tracks or even on a call near them, we have to notify the railroad for officer safety.  Wonder if that was done? :scratchchin:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Todd Wilson

Quote from: John_Kunkel on March 25, 2010, 04:36:38 PM

Seems like the engineer was a little late getting on the horn, a few more seconds might have made a difference.  :shruggy:

Maybe he was in a no horn blowing zone. They are out there.   Also he may have been blowing the horn before the tape started.

Todd

200MPH

Charger

Todd Wilson

Quote from: 200MPH on March 26, 2010, 10:32:00 AM
Simple stay off the tracks!

Naaaa thats too easy!!!!!!   Working for the railroad I find it troubling   that people are attracted to the tracks like a bug to a light. They feel like they have to walk down the middle of the track between the rails. Unaware that a train can sneak up on them. A sleeping baby can make more noise then a railcar rolling down a track in the rail yard.

Todd

200MPH

Charger

rollingthunder

Quote from: Todd Wilson on March 26, 2010, 10:43:00 AM
Quote from: 200MPH on March 26, 2010, 10:32:00 AM
Simple stay off the tracks!

Naaaa thats too easy!!!!!!   Working for the railroad I find it troubling   that people are attracted to the tracks like a bug to a light. They feel like they have to walk down the middle of the track between the rails. Unaware that a train can sneak up on them. A sleeping baby can make more noise then a railcar rolling down a track in the rail yard.

Todd

boy thats the truth bing a railroader myself  I've see that all the time.
life's to short have a blast before its gone.

Silver R/T

Quote from: resq302 on March 26, 2010, 06:05:31 AM
With working for a police dept, anytime we or the fire dept is on the tracks or even on a call near them, we have to notify the railroad for officer safety.  Wonder if that was done? :scratchchin:

I do think train was notified already and he was stopping mile ago, however you can't stop a train with 80+ cars in a half a mile
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

68X426

Quote from: John_Kunkel on March 25, 2010, 04:36:38 PM

Very likely a no horn zone. Damn near the whole state of California is a quiet (no horn) zone. Community activists and their lawyers don't like horns, they win at councils and in court, and then the next of kin wonder why there was silence just before horrific accidents. :flame:

And then the same "noise nazis" won't get off their cell phones at restaurants and movies.:brickwall:

Rant over.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

resq302

Quote from: Silver R/T on March 27, 2010, 12:29:39 PM
Quote from: resq302 on March 26, 2010, 06:05:31 AM

I do think train was notified already and he was stopping mile ago, however you can't stop a train with 80+ cars in a half a mile

Sorry, I don't buy it.  If the train was notified, they were either notified too late or he did not try to slow down in time.  Or.... no one from the rail company notified dispatch to advise PD and FD that there was a train coming in case they had anyone on the tracks.  Maybe it is different here in NJ.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

John_Kunkel

Quote from: 68X426 on March 27, 2010, 12:40:35 PM

Very likely a no horn zone. Damn near the whole state of California is a quiet (no horn) zone.

I understand that, but when lives/property are at stake I doubt if the engineer would worry about such regs. My comment came from the fact that even I (with failing eyesight) could make out the rig blocking the tracks long before the horn was heard.

Admittedly not knowing all of the regs, I find it strange that an unprotected crossing would be exempt from the long-long-short-loooong horn requirements that the Feds mandate.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

derailed

Quote from: Silver R/T on March 27, 2010, 12:29:39 PM

It was a passenger train, not freight. You can see in the video how much they slowed down when they saw the truck and how quick they stopped afterward. The newer passenger equipment has some incredible braking power. They need to change the video name from close call to direct hit.