News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

tunnel ram

Started by rt green, June 27, 2010, 02:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rt green

i have a tunnel ram and an unbuilt 440. if you guys were to run this in a b body for street and strip [727]  how would you build it? heads, cam?  this car has a dana with 456 gears.
third string oil changer

68chargerboy

that motor is gunna have to spin 8k to take advantage of that tunnel ram, cam would need to be around 106 lsa maybe 108.  not going to be a very streetable build.  however i would like to build a tunnel ram motor too but sold my tunnel ram a couple years ago  :brickwall:  so if you decide not to use it i will gladly buy it off u  :icon_smile_big:

Cooter

I disagee respectfully, as MM Mag. did a comparison of intakes and the top dog in HP AND torque, was the tunnel ram....Set up correctly, the tunnel ram will produce very good low speed torque, however, you will need some compression as well as good heads....The cam as stated above will need to be healthy in order to take advantage of the added CFMs...

I'd install it on a 500 Cu.In. stroker...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

rt green

500 ci. well theres a thought. how do you think that will respond to high rpm vs the 440?  i have been wondering if engle makes a cam that it would like.
third string oil changer

Cooter

Well, My experience with long rod strokers is you don't need the high RPMs, as it's a "grunt" motor...If you can't get it done from 2000-6500 with a stroker, it's hard on the stroker when twisting it 7500=8000...However, this isn't always the case, as MM mag again, ran the Engine Challenge strokers to 7000  RPM, and they performed well...One with tunnel ram set up with twin AFB Carters actually LOST power and when it was switched back to a single Dominator, the power came back...Just goes to show you, when setting up an engine for multiple carbs, you need to actually set it up for multiple carbs...Most, here again, MOST street engines will be better suited with a single four...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

rt green

i take it that you are close to my age. a mechanic such as i am. you gotta admit it would be cool as hell though. i mean to get one running hot. well, i like old school, and we'll see how good i am i guess. thank you. any other input would be cool though. oh for subject sake, its going into a 68 gtx   
third string oil changer

694spdRT

I had a tunnel ram with 2 660 Holley's in my '68 for several years. It was built by another guy and was supposed to have 10.5 to 1 compression. When I later tore it apart I found low compression TRW flat tops and 90cc heads which made for a whopping 8 to 1 compression. It also had a 509 Mopar cam in it and I ran 3.55 gears. Even though everything was "wrong" it still ran hard and never had bad street manners. The 509 cam was choppy but not horrible and I would happily use a tunnel ram again. The one thing I didn't like was having to pull over during rain storms and wait it out.

I still may slap together another 440 I have that is running domed high compression TRW's with the tunnel ram and 509 combo. I guess the 509 cam really likes compression and I would have plenty with that engine.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Rolling_Thunder

Engle was bought out by another company...   they no longer sell their older design cams (such a shame) ---  I have NO clue about their new stuff...   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

cryotek

I got a 452 stroker w/ 12.83 to 1 compression with edlebrock heads.  Running Weiand tunnel ram with 2 660 holleys.  THe cam is a ENgle 278 w/ 650 lift(might be off a little on numbers).  Idle is not the greatest(still working on that).  I have a Turbo Action 10" hemi that locks up around 3800 w/ 4.10 gears.  The engine is OK from idle 1000k to 2800. THEN HOLD ON!!!!  ITS LIKE HITTING NITRO!!!!!!

Hey,  it's a big heavy old car.  Build it any way you want to and have fun doing it.  I love my tunnel ram because it has the old look and I have the power to back it up.   

rt green

engle is no longer?  dam. i should've bought a cam when i had the chance
third string oil changer

Ghoste

Not as a true independent.  I am pretty sure you can still buy Engle branded cams but many of their own
designs have been dropped and particularly some of the grinds of interest to us here.
That is my understanding anyway.

Challenger340

Engle had some very good Lobes, no doubt about that.
That said,
PLENTY of good Lobes available for Mopars from other manufacturers, with and without .904" Mopar dedicated ramp speeds, which was one of the biggest attractions to the Engles.

Lots of good stuff also with Lunati, Isky, and yes, even COMP CAMS the "7-11" of Cam Manu's.

If you don't wanna go on the Hunt yourself, or are intimidated by the technical aspects, try Muscle Motors or Hughes Engines, who've already done the legwork for various Applications, and offer lines of Mopar dedicated .904" Cams. :Twocents:
Only wimps wear Bowties !

rt green

ok. so whats the big deal whith the .904 ramp anyways?
third string oil changer

Ghoste

Mopars have a larger diameter lifter than the other guys and this allows for the cam to be ground with a steeper angle or "ramp" on the lobe which in turns means the valvetrain comes to max lift quicker and therefore leaves the valve open longer.  Same idea at work on the close side.

rt green

called engle yesterday. ordered a cam. talked to chris, and he said the k 56 through 60 are still avalible. i got the k 5860.should be ground and shipped in a week.
third string oil changer