News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WASTED MY MOTOR TODAY....Update 11/10/09 more pics,,,,update...

Started by R2, November 01, 2009, 08:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

Just curious, do you think it would have broken anyway, or did racing bring this on ?
Just a Question ?? :scratchchin:

Steve P.

I'm betting it pushed out a head gasket and hydro'd.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

The cam snapped and dropped into the bottom end trying to occupy the same space as the rotating assembly...this is the most likely scenario.  :scratchchin:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Hemidoug

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 03, 2009, 07:14:49 PM
The cam snapped and dropped into the bottom end trying to occupy the same space as the rotating assembly...this is the most likely scenario.  :scratchchin:

Ron

:iagree: I've seen what happens when you break a rod...If you broke a rod end or bolt I'd say something got in it's way first.
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

mally69

dang buddy that sucks  :'(     i couldnt view your pics but i read the statements and it dont sound good.  good luck with the new engine.

R2

Pulled the driver side Head off ,,,,,looks to be ok,,,,,no major damage,,,,
still have to pull the passenger side off.........and check it out.

thanks guys.............

Blown68Coronet

Hey Douggie,
I was wondering the same as Steve IRT a head gasket issue as well cause you have the milk shake residue on the valve cover. Let me know what the head gaskets look like. :popcrn:

Seeing how your block had stock crank and mains, i'd say you were on "borrowed time" pushing her like that. Runnin those times are very impressive with that combo.I thought you had an Eagle crank with alum caps and half fill.

You'll have no probs with a 572. :2thumbs:

Kevin

R2

Well,,,the heads "look" ok,,,,got them both off,,,,,, :2thumbs:

The top of the pistons look pretty good as well,,,one little scuff mark,,where it must have touched the end of the electrode on the spark plug....but otherwise ok,,,,,,,,,

Pulled the radiator,,,,
Drained the trans,,,,
Pulled the headers,,,,starter,,,,

Just have to pull the convertor bolts,,and drop the trans,,,,then the motor is coming out,,,and the autopsy will begin... :2guns:

Steve P.

Much coolant in the cylinders?? How about the valves??
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Hemidoug

Quote from: R2 on November 05, 2009, 06:14:16 PM
Well,,,the heads "look" ok,,,,got them both off,,,,,, :2thumbs:

The top of the pistons look pretty good as well,,,one little scuff mark,,where it must have touched the end of the electrode on the spark plug....but otherwise ok,,,,,,,,,

Pulled the radiator,,,,
Drained the trans,,,,
Pulled the headers,,,,starter,,,,

Just have to pull the convertor bolts,,and drop the trans,,,,then the motor is coming out,,,and the autopsy will begin... :2guns:

You should check for bent valves....especially if you hit the top of the cylinder head and broke the cam....I'd be willing to bet your going to find a few... :Twocents:

When I blew up the Hemi it bent every valve...and broke a valve guide.
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

ACUDANUT

Quote from: ACUDANUT on November 03, 2009, 08:59:49 AM
Just curious, do you think it would have broken anyway, or did racing bring this on ?
Just a Question ?? :scratchchin:
No idea, or opinion ?

R2

Not sure,,,,
I take pretty good care of the motor,,,,oil, adjustments, maintenance,,etc,
I think due to it being a all out race motor,,,things fatigue...etc....

I talked to the engine builder,,,and he feels that the block likely cracked inside,,,,compromised oil to #6,,,and granaded the motor from inside,,,,this was a "stock" block,,,30 years old,,etc,,,

I usually go thru the traps at 6800 RPM,,,and have had a lot of runs on the car,,,,so i think it was just a matter of time....

Plan is to upgrade to a INDY 572 wedge motor,,,and set it on KILL.........( lol ),,,,

not sure what i will be able to salvage,,,,it's a mess in there............

R2

Steve,,,not much coolant,,, there is alot of moisture and now some surface rust in # 5 and 6....
valve look ok,,,,but i will have to have it looked at real close to say for sure.....like Doug mentioned....

thanks guys............

greenpigs

I cant view pictures either and im glad. Do you feel ya got your money worth out of this combo?
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

R2

I put some new pics,,,,

camshaft STICKING thru the windage tray........

potpourri of parts in the oil pan,,,rods,,pushrods,,,lifters,,etc

Shot of the crank at number 5 and 6 ,,, totally wasted,,,,with underside of pistons,,rods mangled...

VERY LUCKY,,,,you can see a spider crack that almost came thru the side of the block,,,,,,i was lucky,,this could have blown out,,putting all kinds of stuff under the car,,,,,,,,,at speed.........

westcoastdodge

I don't care what is is designed to do,I want to know what it can do.
Gene Kranz

Rolling_Thunder

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

R2

Yup,,,The heads look ok,,,,rockers,,,and even the pan,,,but the cam, crank, and at least 2 rods and pistons are shot,,,and the block is destroyed,,,,
it happens,,,,especially with racing.....

I was able to take the Charger out for a drive today,,,,so it was a good way to get my "fix" while tearing into the Belvedere.......

motor and trans should be out soon,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Tilar

Man Doug, that sux. I've seen a few cams break over the years and they all seem to have the same results. I'd bet money that was what unravelled yours.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

R2

Motor is out......and on the stand,,,,,left the trans in,,,,which was nice,,,didnt have to mess with it,,just built a little support to keep it in the car,,,,,

Might have found a "new" motor with the help of "the man",,,,( Ron Wilson,,,aka firefighter ),,,,, going to try and re-use my heads,,,,and bolt on's,,,,, and have that installed on a new rotating assembly,,,,

Should be "close" to what i was running before,,,,or perhaps a bit faster,,,, :coolgleamA:

The 572 is on hold,,,which is fine....we'll save up for that later,,,,,,looks like a 451 for now....which will be awesome for what i do with the car,,,this way i can leave the convertor alone,,and rear gears,,,and keep things "low buck",,,,,
:yesnod:
This way the "Black Pig" ,,,and "Mr Clean" can GET IT ON in Norwalk next year............ :2thumbs:
Thanks Ron......

Steve P.

Glad things are moving forward for ya buddy. And you're right. Ron IS  Da' Man....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

Quote from: R2 on November 10, 2009, 06:56:43 PM

Should be "close" to what i was running before,,,,or perhaps a bit faster,,,, :coolgleamA:

The 572 is on hold,,,which is fine....we'll save up for that later,,,,,,looks like a 451 for now....which will be awesome for what i do with the car,,,this way i can leave the convertor alone,,and rear gears,,,and keep things "low buck",,,,,
:yesnod:

Good call Doug....you'll be getting a dyno proven & bullet proof shortblock that will last several years and not have to worry about driving over top of the crank at 130mph.  :eek2:  Good piece of mind.  :2thumbs:

Mr Clean is an appropriate name for that pristine 65 Plymouth  :icon_smile_cool:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs