News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Attn: 70 Cuda xperts... decklids?

Started by BrianShaughnessy, November 09, 2009, 08:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianShaughnessy

I don't really want to go elsewhere... I figured Troy would check in anyway  :icon_smile_big:

Anybody have knowledge of what the deal is with the decklid on a non winged '70 V-code Cuda?  
The rolling shell in Speedo's tent at Carlisle is starting to get some attention and an old sticking point was finding a good decklid.

We have A. and B.    Supposedly A. is the correct non wing variety and B. is the correct wing variety... but since A is rotted and B isn't,  there's talk of cutting out the correct underside portion of A and transplanting onto B.
Also today the owner rolled in with a 3rd design which was half and half but I didn't get that pic.

Anyway,  I figured I'd ask.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Ghoste

I think my only question would be why can't they find the more common style decklid (non wing) in good shape?  It seems a shame to butcher up the harder to find one just because. :shruggy:

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Ghoste on November 09, 2009, 08:25:57 PM
I think my only question would be why can't they find the more common style decklid (non wing) in good shape?  It seems a shame to butcher up the harder to find one just because. :shruggy:

Owner has supposedly been looking.  I dunno.   Much like the 68 Coronet 500 ragtop in the shop that's also still looking for a nice decklid,  they're hard to find   :shruggy:

He's against buying any AMD hood / decklids for it so far.  It's a #'s matching car, blah blah blah.

Rolling_Thunder

if he's got $$$ to burn why not get an AMD decklid and replace it down the road after he finds an OE decklid and restores it ?
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

4cruzin

The difference is the access to the mounting hardware for the wing.  I would just go with the better decklid and forget about a wing IMO.  I don't consider the cuda to be a wing car . . . .  ::)
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

Alaskan_TA

What is the SPD of the car? There were at least three different decklids.

Not shown in your photos is the late version that included the cutouts for the AAR spoiler.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on November 10, 2009, 12:11:42 AM

Not shown in your photos is the late version that included the cutouts for the AAR spoiler.

I need more coffee to comprehend wtf SPD means at this moment    :shruggy:   because I'm really not with it this morning...  much like any other morning around here  but my question is basically is there only 1 correct decklid for a 70 V-code non wing Cuda or are any of the others possibly correct also?

I wouldn't call the owner having $$$ to burn...  he's just a local garage owner but he does have a few really nice Mopars... like a 71 440-6 RR,  a survivor 67 GTX ex drag car,  a Duster drag car that he regularly runs at Etown, etc.   Really nice guy.   This 4-speed V-code is being restored to factory after having the wheel wells / quarters cut up for a drag car, etc. and left for dead years ago.      

Here's the link to the AMD decklids...   temp. out of stock.   http://autometaldirect.com/showitem.aspx?id=100477&name=70-74%20Barracuda%20Deck%20Lid%20(w%2Fo%20spoiler%20holes)&

I got no problems with buying AMD stuff myself  :icon_smile_big:

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on November 10, 2009, 07:41:58 AM
Quote from: Alaskan_TA on November 10, 2009, 12:11:42 AM

I need more coffee to comprehend wtf SPD means at this moment    :shruggy:   because I'm really not with it this morning...  much like any other morning around here  but my question is basically is there only 1 correct decklid for a 70 V-code non wing Cuda or are any of the others possibly correct also?

I wouldn't call the owner having $$$ to burn...  he's just a local garage owner but he does have a few really nice Mopars... like a 71 440-6 RR,  a survivor 67 GTX ex drag car,  a Duster drag car that he regularly runs at Etown, etc.   Really nice guy.   This 4-speed V-code is being restored to factory after having the wheel wells / quarters cut up for a drag car, etc. and left for dead years ago.      

Here's the link to the AMD decklids...   temp. out of stock.   http://autometaldirect.com/showitem.aspx?id=100477&name=70-74%20Barracuda%20Deck%20Lid%20(w%2Fo%20spoiler%20holes)&

I got no problems with buying AMD stuff myself  :icon_smile_big:

Barry is right (of course)... the SPD is the Scheduled Production Date.  My 440-6 `Cuda is an early car and has no spoiler cutouts, but if it was later production it would have cutouts... even without a spoiler.
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

Alaskan_TA

Exactly. The 1970 Cuda / Barracuda decklid history in a nutshell;

Deckid 1 - Early, luggage rack mounting holes.

Decklid 2 - The pedastle mount spoiler was introduced later, I want to say about December? So this lid has provisions for both options, wing & luggage rack.

Decklid 3 - This one included holes for both of those, plus the AAR spoiler. It likely started showing up on cars in early March. It's use continued for the entire 1971 model year as well.

So, if you do not know for certain that you have the original lid, you can narrow down your choices with the SPD.

BrianShaughnessy

Thanks for the info!!!   If it's a later date then could just leave it the heck alone anyway !   Sweeet!

I'll have to head back out to check the dates on it.   I was there most of yesterday scraping goo and beating up my stupid K frame but not online.

Sorry about the SPD thing... I work at HAL.    I only have a small amount of brain storage available left for non work related abbreviations, etc.