News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Should be illegal.....

Started by FastbackJon, November 03, 2009, 06:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FastbackJon

Washington state...

We have a '73 Powerwagon. Truck has sat for a while, doesn't get driven much. Not the primary commuter vehicle.

Back in April or so when the weather got good we went in to put tabs on it. Well the tabs that were on it expired the previous July. So they charged us a full year's worth of fees and only gave us tabs that are good for three months (July again). They just assume you've been driving it for the previous nine months and charge you for it.

Do any other states do this? Should be illegal...
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

rt green

if you let it sit for a year or better, it costs less. well, here it does anyway. depends on who you voted in where youre at
third string oil changer

General_01

I went in to get tabs in late September. I have October tabs on the car. I had to pay for '09 tabs and I have to go back now and get my '10 tabs so I can drive it again. Sucks.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Troy

Yep, always goes from birthday to birthday here. When you first buy the car it will get pro-rated but after that you're expected to pay yearly (full year) since you still technically own the vehicle whether you drive it or not. Luckily, Ohio is reasonably cheap - about $45 per year for regular cars and trucks, $105 for my 1 ton dually, and $39 lifetime (ok, until 2050) for the classics.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

ChgrSteve67

California

The penalties when paying annual renewal registration fees late.
California does not offer a grace period after your vehicle's registration expiration date. Be sure to pay your renewal fees on or before the date of expiration shown on your current registration card or penalties will be due in accordance with Vehicle Code Sections 9552 - 9554. The longer you delay payment of fees, the greater the penalty amount will be.

Even though your plates display only the month and year, your registration expires on a specific day. Be sure to check the registration card for the actual day of expiration.

If you do not receive a billing notice approximately 60 days before your vehicle's registration expires, please call 1-800-777-0133 to find out what your fees are.

Use the following information to determine how renewal penalties are calculated. Penalty fees are assessed in addition to any other fees due.

Registration fee penalty for renewal applications.

Table on how Vehicle Registration Annual Renewal Penalties are Calculated  If payment is late: The penalty will be the sum of:
1-10 days*  10% of the Vehicle License Fee due for that year 10% of the Weight Fee due for that year, if any  
11-30 days*  20% of the Vehicle License Fee due for that year 20% of the Weight Fee due for that year, if any  
31 days-1 year*  60% of the Vehicle License Fee due for that year 60% of the Weight Fee due for that year, if any  
More than 1 year-2 years  80% of the Vehicle License Fee due for that year 80% of the Weight Fee due for that year, if any  
More than 2 years 160% of the Vehicle License Fee due for that year 160% of the Weight Fee due for that year, if any  

* A Planned Non-Operation may be filed up to 90 days after the registration expiration date if the vehicle was not operated in any manner, but appropriate late penalties are due as shown above.  

Fees due prior to January 1, 2003, are assessed penalties using the following information:

80% for more than 1 year to 2 years
160% for more than 2 years

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/vr_info.htm

Vehicle registration is a big money maker in CA
They are going to stick it to you any chance they can.

if you are not going to register a car or delay in getting it registered its always best to file non-operation on it BEFORE the tags expire to avoid any penalties and keep it off the street. Cars that are not registered and in sight of a public road is another discussion.

Oh and if you file non-op on a vehicle DO NOT get caught with it on the road without a DMV move permit.
Getting caught will void the non-op and all penalties and back fees are due.

Example:  you file non-op on a car and it sits for 5 years. you get caught with it on the street, you now owe 5 years back tags plus all penalties for not registering it for the last 5 years.

If you buy an old car in CA you want to check it with DMV before you buy it. The penalties my be more than what the car is worth.

FastbackJon

Wow, sounds like Nazifornia... doesn't seem so bad up north in comparison now...
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

tricky lugnuts

BMVs are terrible, soul-destroying places.

As stated before, Ohio does it by birthday. I got a new car in late December 2008 and my birthday is in mid-January. When I went to the local BMV to get plates for it, you know, so I could legally drive, they wanted to charge me full freight for plates (same cost as one year's registration) that would have had to be renewed again (for full freight) in two weeks on my birthday, and they wouldn't just give me the full-year plates until my birthday.  :P

I laughed at that, along with the lady working the counter that day, (maybe laugh is the wrong word) and paid something like $5 for the temp tags to get me by until my birthday. 

In Ohio, I think if you own a car and it is plated and registered, you are also required to keep state-minimum insurance on it even if it is not being driven at all.

ITSA426

If you miss a year here in MN, and the vehicle is twenty years old, it's cheaper to throw collector plates on it - if you have owned the vehicle for at least one year.  I notice a lot of states don't offer collector plates.  Here, the collector plates don't expire annually.  Shh - Don't tell the legislature or they will figure a way to screw that up.

69DodgeCharger

Birthday to Birthday here in Michigan and a $15 fine for non/late registration after that date. And yes the DMV/BMV/Secretary of State and so forth are busily researching every possible avenue to steal more of your money, and that applies to all 50 states. To answer your question yes it should be illegal.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

Silver R/T

There are MANY things that should be illegal but they are not. I will not be listing them as it would take too much space. If car/truck is old enough I would get vintage plates on it and be done with it.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

elacruze

In Florida, if your insurance company finds out (and they will) that your plates expired, they'll raise your rates unless you've made specific arrangements, which means paying for 'storage insurance'-which is merely comprehensive. There's a $15 penalty for reinstating expired tags, though I think the fee is pro-rated at the same time as you get a penalty. It's a bit confusing but not the worst state to be in.

VOTE!
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

41husk

Get this, I just spoke with my DMV about registering my up comming purchase.  I was told it goes by age.  A 69 Charger cloned inton a Daytona would cost me $50 in taxes, unless I pay over $14,999 and less than $19,999, in that case it is $750 in taxes.  $20,000 - $29,999 is $1,000 in taxes.  It gets better.  lets say I purchase a 1969 car for $14,000 and the department of revenue thinks the car is worth more, and I can not provide proof such as bill of sale etc., I can be charged the difference in the tax plus fines and late fees. :slap:  Welcome to Illinois :brickwall:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

squeakfinder

King George would be proud. I guess this is the price you pay for the privilege of driving on his majesty's highway's

Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....