News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

modified 516 heads, is this a worthwhile purchase...

Started by russg, November 10, 2009, 12:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

russg

Local person selling these.....

I HAVE A SET OF 516 CLOSED CHAMBER HEADS THEY ARE PORTED TO THE MAX. THEY FLOW 278 IN A FLOW BENCH. THE HEADS HAVE 2.19 AND 1.81 STAINLESS FERRIA 6000 VALVES, COMP CAM ROLLER SPRINGS WITH 275 SEAT PRESSURE.

If the price is right, is this a worthwhile purchase for my 383?  It is a 1967 according to the engine stamp so do I already have 516's on this car?
73 Charger SE, 383, Headman headers, Holley 670 SA, Flowmaster Super 44's

firefighter3931

Quote from: russg on November 10, 2009, 12:27:52 PM
Local person selling these.....

I HAVE A SET OF 516 CLOSED CHAMBER HEADS THEY ARE PORTED TO THE MAX. THEY FLOW 278 IN A FLOW BENCH. THE HEADS HAVE 2.19 AND 1.81 STAINLESS FERRIA 6000 VALVES, COMP CAM ROLLER SPRINGS WITH 275 SEAT PRESSURE.

If the price is right, is this a worthwhile purchase for my 383?  It is a 1967 according to the engine stamp so do I already have 516's on this car?

Those heads have some nice hardware installed (stainless valves) but the valveprings won't be appropriate for a hydraulic flat tappet cam....you would need to swap those out. Without flow sheets there's no proof that these heads flow much better than stock....some guys get overzealous with the die grinder and end up going backwards....it's easy to ruin a stock head by removing material from the wrong area. Ported heads are also prone to cracking....once that happens they are junk. A closed chamber head may or may not work with your motor. Some of the early 383 engines had positive deck piston heights which are non campatible with a closed chamber head.

I would pass on these if i were you.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs