News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

dye seat and interior of your charger

Started by nelson_audet, September 29, 2009, 10:59:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelson_audet

any of you have dyed you general lee seat?

it is ok? or used quickly??
69 Charger RT 440 4 SPD 4.10 Dana car B5 blue

Mike DC

It will not last on any of the areas in the interior that get heavily used.  The seatcovers, the armrests, etc.  Those parts need to be replaced with vinyl items made in the correct color if you want them to remain looking good. 

The vinyl spray colors will work for dashboards, door panels, headliners, etc.  It is still better to get replacement parts made in the correct color if you can afford the price, but the vinyl sprays will work for a while.

nelson_audet

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on September 29, 2009, 12:48:55 PM

It will not last on any of the areas in the interior that get heavily used.  The seatcovers, the armrests, etc.  Those parts need to be replaced with vinyl items made in the correct color if you want them to remain looking good. 

The vinyl spray colors will work for dashboards, door panels, headliners, etc.  It is still better to get replacement parts made in the correct color if you can afford the price, but the vinyl sprays will work for a while.

i know the replacement part is best but it is for 1 or 2 summer... for extend the life of my seat cover.. and for have a black interior.... i am tired of my old white interior.... it is why i want to know if the spray will stick on the seat.. and will  stay on the seat for 1 or 2 summer... i use my car many time a week...

Mike DC

It could work for that.  It will be wearing off in the high-wear areas but you can always touch it up.  Especially if you get the vinyl paint in aerosol cans. 

I think SEM products are the best for this job.  There are many different brands of vinyl paints/dyes but the SEM stuff is much better than anything else I have tried. 

nelson_audet

yep i think i will use sem saddle tan sem product. i wait picture of a member of the cglfc.com for see the look of his seat dyed with this color.... for take my decision

268RTs4ME

Make sure you clean everything your gonna to dye or spray real good, and get you a can of Bulldog paint adherer and apply it first, make sure ventilation is good that stuff is tuff, but will make dye adher to seats, like your suppose to do it..

Mike DC

I will list all the SEM colors that are relevant to GLs.  This list starts with the lightest color, and ends at the darkest color.  There is no PERFECT match for the factory Dodge "Saddle Tan" on any of them.  There are just several shades that would look similar to what appeared on the GL at one time or another over the years:  

Sandstone:  This is VERY light beige.  It matches the "General Lee" interior shade from Legenday Auto Interiors.  

Light Oak:  This is a bit darker than sandstone.  I personally think it would be a better shade to use than Sandstone because it's closer to the vinyl paint sprayed on the surviving 17 television cars.

Camel Tan:  This is close to the factory 'Saddle Tan" but a tiny bit yellower/brighter.  it's pretty good for the job.  

Saddle Tan:  Similar to the factory color but darker/redder.  It's not too far off but it's not a match.      

Bluebird Brown:  This looks like the television GLs with the darker brown interiors that appeared from season #2 until the earlier half of season #4.  The "Carnival of Thrills" 2-hour special showed this color.  

Ghoste

I'm not sure which is more amazing to me, the fact that they used five different interior shades or that you guys have managed to track them all down. :cheers:

nelson_audet

nelson_audet

Charger440RDN

skip68

I used Camel tan on mine and I love it.   SEM is great stuff.   :2thumbs:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Back N Black

Man, you did a good job on the interior. :2thumbs:

troy.70R/T

I just bought a 68 and am planning on getting some used panels and dying them as well. You did a real nice job on yours. :2thumbs: