News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New magnum 360

Started by wayfast1500, October 15, 2009, 11:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayfast1500

What are the differences between the l.a block 360 and a newer magnum 360?  I have a magnum from a 98 ram I'd like to drop in my 73 but I do not know where to find a intake for a carb setup or the correct oil pump/pan ect.  When I was into chevys you could bolt a carb intake onto tpi heads if you elongate the bolt holes since the only difference was the bolt angle, does this hold true for the mopar?

Rolling_Thunder

Edelbrock makes an intake for the Magnum engine with a carb...      The LA intakes are at an angle...   magnum bolts are verticle

Things that will give you problems

- drive accessories are odd serpentine set up - may not fit your chassis
- No fuel pump eccentric for mechanical fuel pump...    must run electric
- oil pan and pickup are same as an LA block

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Troy

Manicini makes a fuel pump eccentric that bolts on to the front of the cam. You must use the old style timing chain cover and accessories. There is a "knock off" of the Edelbrock intake if you're looking for something cheaper.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

wayfast1500

Who makes that knock off intake? Any cam would bolt into this block right? Same with the timing chain?

Troy

Nope, (I believe) all Magnums are roller cams which can get pricey. That's not a bad thing though! There are some places (like Hughes? and KRC Performance) that will regrind the original to different specs for about half the cost.

There is a large aftermarket for the trucks these engines came out of. The only thing that really sucks is Mopar price gouging on valve springs and retainers. I found a way around that...

The intake is made by Crosswinds.

Troy

wayfast1500

Well as long as I change the lifter I could run a voodoo right?

Rolling_Thunder

nope - pushrods would need to be changed as rollers are taller than flats...   plus the magnums oil up through the pushrods - the LA oils through the rocker shafts
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

carolina charger

I've got a nice 5.9 magnum from a 97 Ram that I kinda wanted to drop into a Dart . I've looked at the knockoff intake for $200 with free shipping. Was wondering if anyone here has tried it yet.

wayfast1500

What's the other differences between the blocks besides the heads? I'd like to build this into a decent street engine and can't find much on it online. 

Troy

One other thing - it's balanced differently than the LA so you need a different flexplate. B&M makes one specifically for this and it's reasonably priced.

Troy

BrianShaughnessy

You'd be further ahead keeping the roller cam setup than switching to a flat tappet.    Less hassle about break-in and lobes getting wiped out.  Reuse the same roller lifters, pushrods, etc.    
  Mounting an electric pump is probably easier in the long run than converting to a mechanical.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

wayfast1500

Ill keep the roller cam, but I'll probably get mine reground or get a different one.  Seems like a pretty easy swap?

Troy

Quote from: wayfast1500 on October 17, 2009, 10:04:57 PM
Ill keep the roller cam, but I'll probably get mine reground or get a different one.  Seems like a pretty easy swap?
Yep - it's about as simple as you can get. You can even keep the EFI like Hotrod98. You'll need 360 motor mounts (if your car came with a 318) and a 360 car oil pan.

Troy

wayfast1500

I thought the only difference was 1 mount and it could be shimmed. I have a ego setup off a 95, minus the wiring and a computer from a 98 so it might be possible in the future.